Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which wolf rifle primers?

elenius

I am considering getting some Wolf small rifle primers, to use for both pistol and rifle (glock with light striker spring and AR with JP trigger job). Which kind should I get?

Wideners says to use the standard rifle primer (QQQSR) for "standard 223" loads, but then they say that the magnum ones are best for "AR15 or military style semi auto". Will the magnum (QQQSRM) or QQQSR223 work well with pistol loads? They say that the cups are thicker. Does that mean harder to ignite? Will they be harder than, say, a CCI pistol primer? Should I just abandon the "one primer to rule them all" philosophy?

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?ite...dir=278|284|737

I have used the Wolf .223 primers in my ARs and they work fine. I just ordered some of the standard Wolf small rifle primers to use in both pistols and rifles. Powder Valley said they are just as soft as the Federal small rifle primers which I have used in my limited 2011, open 2011 and ARs with no problems.

I bought some of the Wolf Small Rifle (regular) primers for use on 40 and 38Super and they seem to be working well. I don't know if the added thickness of the magnum or 223 primers would create any problems, and will be interested in hearing if they are also viable solutions.

I got a less than helpful answer from Wideners:
Only use primers for their intended purposes. If your loading data says use a Small Pistol primer, Do Not Subsitiute a Small Rifle Primer in it's place.

Liability issues, that's all you're going to get from them and I understand why.