Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dry Fire Routines?

downzero

I'm wondering if you'd share your dry firing routine. I have seen posts about dry firing for an hour. After 20 minutes my mind starts to wander. 10 X 10 draw to first shot. 10 X 10 first shot to transition. Reloads. Can you give me an idea of a routine that I can do in the garage?

Two important things when dry-firing.

1) Aim at a small specific point of the target.

2) Keep your dry-firing REALISTIC. Don't transit targets too fast. Aim at the target, squeeze the trigger, VISUALIZE the recoil, wait for your visualization of the recoil to be completed before moving to the next target.

I have small targets scattered around the room to simulate some COF's I've encountered. Doing some variations of draws and not only from the holster keep things interesting. ;)

Several nights now I'm doing very wide transitions. Pushing some very unrealistic speed it's making my head hurt. :o

• 2 weeks later...

For my dry-fire I use one of my airsoft guns with home-made ipsc targets (obviously smaller that standard) to the specs of the room i'm in. This helps immensely, because I can still get recoil feedback, granted, not as much, but it's still feedback. I would recommend it to anyone, as you can use these guns almost anywhere you can hang a sheet to stop them.

ks

ps. it's insane fun too