Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 primer problems

I'm having a horrible time loading on my "new" Dillon 1050 with 9mm. With the crunch on reloading components, I purchased some Russian primers about a year ago however my Dillon 1050 does not like loading this primer. It will crush about one out of ten. When I back out the primer seat it does not properly seat the primers into the pocket leaving them a little high. Any ideas? Could the Russian primers be a little larger than a regular Winchester or Federal? These same primers loaded just fine on my Dillon 650 with 9mm but my new Dillon 1050 is causing me a headache!

I suggest you measure the height and diameter on 10-12 of the primers for comparison. On the 650 primers are seated by feel, so you wouldn't notice any height variations. On the Super 1050, seating depth is fixed, so variations in primer height will result in a squished primer. When you make seat depth adjustments, be sure to make tiny adjustments, 1/8th turn at a time.

Are you swaging the primer pockets? Are you using mixed brass? I've found range 9mm brass to be all over the place on the tightness of the primer pocket. Setting the swage rod on the 1050 to swage the tight ones seems to help. I think Wolf primers are harder to get seated than Win or Fed.

A 1050 sometimes takes a little tweaking to get it to run well but it's worth it. :cheers: