Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Dillon powder dump

I have a Dillon 550. When I load .223 sometimes the casing will come up into the powder measure it will tip sideways a little. When it does, it hits the edge of the funnel and dump powder on the shell plate. Am I doing something wrong? Is this normal?

Does it dump the powder on the upward movement of the shellplate or on the way down. What powder are you using. The reason for the two questions is that some powders (rod type) will sometimes bridge together in the case mouth (bridging) and not allow the rest of the powder charge to drop into the cartridge. When you raise the handle and lower the shellplate the remainder of the powder that should have dropped into the cartridge will spill out of the powder funnel and onto the shellplate and other assorted places. This happens with small neck diameter cartridges like the 223.

Adios,

Pat

I'm using Win. 748. On the up stroke it seems the case moves. (you can wiggle it back and forth in the shellplate) And catches the edge of the funnel, then misses the mouth of the case. And thanks for the help.

Sounds like perhaps your shellplate is a little loose. Adjust the bolt until the shellplate is a little hard to turn, then back it off just a smidge, tighten the set screw then check. Should turn smoothly, under tension but not wobble.

Curtis

It's not the shellplate that wobbles. It's the case as it sits in it. Should the case be able to wiggle around in the shellplate?

Did you check to make sure you are using the correct shellplate with the correct locator button #. It should not be able to move that much.

Curtis

Glad it worked out. It can a little frustrating at times finding that sweet spot between too tight and too loose on the shellplate, powder failsafe rod, etc. that makes the difference between a smooth 550 and a mess :cheers:

Curtis

I snug the shellplate bolt down until it will not rotate. Then I loosen the shellplate bolt in TINY increments until the shellplate will turn with a hair of drag. Check the amount of drag again after tightening the shellplate bolt lock screw on the side of the ram. Sometimes it will cause the shellplate to tighten up considerably. If this happens loosen the shellplate bolt a TINY bit more and tighten the lock screw again and check the shellplate.

Doing this removes as much wobble from the shellplate as possible.

Adios,

Pat