Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Driving from Iowa to Las Vegas in November

Ok Guys here is my (I mean my girlfriend's plan)

I fly to Davenport Iowa (I know Moline,) then drive back to Vegas with her in November.

I wouldn't mind it during the summer but I am afraid of the coming winter and I have to drive thru Iowa then Nebraska then the mountains of Colorado and Utah. Does this trip sound crazy during November? I am afraid of getting stuck in the show up in the mountains somewhere....and I dont even own a Jacket :wacko: (I live in Vegas)

Also I am a FL, NV, UT permit holder and I WILL have my pistol with me or I am not gonna drive thru the half country.

As I see I shouldn't have a problem with having a gun on me expect in Iowa. How can I have it with me legally in in Iowa? Trunk etc?

Regards,

Edited by TheHun

The only major forseeable issue is Loveland and Vail Passes in Colorado. I have been through there every month of the year and have experienced weather through there every month, except July (yes there was snow in late August). They are really good about clearing it quickly, and I can only remember having to turn back once- it was 8pm in October and we just stayed over in Denver. Go for it.

From Iowa, keep the ammo and the mags and the slide off the frame. Wrap all separately yes this is over kill but better safe than sorry. also in different parts of the car. This will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you do not have quick access to the weapon.

I've done the trip from Des Moines to Vegas (or vice-versa) in early to mid-November multiple times. Best option is to keep an open mind & have multiple routes planned. Then check the weather forecasts before you leave & pick the route that will be best for the next couple of days.

I generally consider that there are 3 main routes from DSM to LAS.

Option 1 - Through CO as you mentioned.

Option 2 - I-80 through WY. Turn south just before Salt Lake City. During the summer, I prefer this route.

Option 3 - Go South. You'll probably want to take the diagonal (US-54?) from Wichita, KS thru Liberal, KS thru Dalhart, TX & pick up I-40 in Tucumcari, NM.

Options 1 & 2 are about the same time/distance. Option 3 is 100+ miles & 3 hours longer. There's no guarantee you won't hit snow down south. But, it can often be better than the other 2. I ended up going South last fall. We did see some snow around Flagstaff. But, the roads were pretty clear. Just a nice white layer on the trees.