Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help on sight picture

MBaban

I need pointers to be consistent in hitting where I aim.  I seem to drop my hits about 4 inches below from where I aim at 7 yards. I have both thumbs pointing towards the target.  I shoot the Glock 35.  I semto shot better if I donnot take my time.  Am I anticipating my shots? what drills should I do to improve? Mark

Mark,

assuming your gun is zeroed correctly, (so that the bullet strikes where its aimed) then there must be a flaw in the way you release the shot.

If you are watching your sights until the shot is fired you will see any movement, perhaps caused by anticipation, grip tension or bad trigger control.

If you are not, that may well be your problem.

hope that helps,

P.D.

Mbaban, you most likely have your eyes closed if you don't recall the sight lift. (hence flinch) Have someone watch your eyes while you are shooting to see if they are closing or use a video camera to check for it.

You might want to try this on your trigger contol: Press the trigger straight to the rear, feeling it the whole way. When the sear breaks, hold the trigger back through the recoil. Then count One thousand one, and SLOWLY release the trigger feeling the reset. IF you don't feel the click, you already released the trigger. Do it until you get it right. Most likely you will have to relax your strong hand to do this as it will probably be too tense to get a good feel of the trigger.

Good luck,

• 1 month later...

Do some ball and dummy drills to really find out if you are flinching or jerking. At the range during you practice put several dummy rounds with you live rounds in your hand and without looking load the rounds into the magazine. Or have a friend load your mag for you with the dummy and live rounds. Start shooting slow fire drills, always look for a second sight picture as soon as possible. Try to press the trigger to the rear without disturbing the sights. If you press the trigger on a dummy round and the sights move at all, you are anticipating the shot. Most times with a right handed shooter you shots will be low left.

You can also do dry practive. Take your empty gun and balance a dime on the sight or top of the gun. Try pressing the trigger to the rear without having the dime fall off the sight or top of the slide. These are old bullseye drills we did in the military but they still work.

At 7 yards it is almost always the shooter and not the sights on the gun.

Good luck and always double and triple check you firearm when doing dry practice. Also dry practice at something that will contain the round if for some reason a round goes off. That leaves out the big screen TV, the cat or dog and of course the wife.

You also may be "looking for the hits".

You gotta learn to read the sights, and trust what the sights tell you.

If not, you end up "looking for the hits", which leads to dropping the gun down at about the split second that the bullet is traveling down the barrel.

Try closing your eyes (safely) when you shoot.

• 1 month later...

Another possibility:

If you have a fiber optic front sight you may be putting the "dot" at the bottom of the rear notch instead of aligning the sight properly. I speak from experience on this one. :(

I have been working hard on sight picture in dry fire and group shooting at the range for awhile and that seems to be clearing it up for me. Time will tell.

I discovered this in a stage where there were a lot of head shots and I ended up with nice C shots instead. I thought that maybe my sights were screwy but in slow fire I was able to hold very nice, tight groups. Then one of my shooting friends suggested that maybe I was holding the "dot" at the bottom of the notch. I tried it and this reproduced, exactly, my head shot failures.

So goes the life of a shooter. :)