Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major - STI Steel Master

cdrissel

• 3 weeks later...

Steelmaster was designed for minor load. You will need at least a diiferrent recoil master. Stock has light spring. (green)

I sent my steelmaster back to the factory twice now as it just won't run reliably with any load. I have run from 120 PF to 165 PF. Let me know what you are using for your minor load and how well it ran.

Steelmaster was designed for minor load. You will need at least a diiferrent recoil master. Stock has light spring. (green)

I sent my steelmaster back to the factory twice now as it just won't run reliably with any load. I have run from 120 PF to 165 PF. Let me know what you are using for your minor load and how well it ran.

I'm using 4.3 gr TiteGroup over a MG 124 gr JHP or 121 gr IFP in Starline brass with Wolf SP primers. 1.150" COL so they also feed in my G17.

About a 135+ PF

Runs 100% and is accurate.

:cheers:

Edited by cdrissel

I've shot major loads through mine, but don't on a regular basis these days. HS6 seemed to work pretty well.

I am working up a load with VV 3n37.

I have shot 7.0 gr and 7.5 gr (1.150" OAL).

MG 121 IFP, Starline Brass and Wolf SP primers.

But have yet to run them over a crono to get PF.

:cheers:

Edited by cdrissel

• 2 weeks later...

When I got my Steelmaster i was having a few problems getting it to run reliably, I called David Cupp explained problems he sent me Label for return and ask me to include hand loads, got it back in 10 days, I just looked up number of rounds since it's return 2,955 rounds and ONE FTE while my Wife was shooting it (???) and I load what ever i pick up. I'm use IMR 7625 5.3 MG 124gr OAL 1.165 Avg Vel 1060 PF 131.Hope this helps it's a great gun (also the longer OAL seemed to help)

My wife has a Steelmaster 9mm. We had problem numerous problems with it. First the ejector broke, STI sent us one and the local gunsmith installed it. We still had ejection problems. I called STI back and they asked me to send it in. I am not sure what all they did but it now works without fail. I asked them to check and see if it was one of the early STI 9mm slides with the bolt face issue. I don't know if mine was one of the early slides or not. This issue is discribed at gansguns.com. Long story short STI did a great job repairing the gun in a very short period of time and I am a happy customer.

The load I am using know is 6.6 grains of HS6 and the 124 gr MG CMJ bullet. I may experiment with major loads later.

I spoke with Mr. Skinner concerning 9 major in the Steelmaster. He said it would work, but the comp was designed for minor loads. I guess that is one reason why they make the matchmaster now. Both look like they would be fun to shoot.

I spoke with Mr. Skinner concerning 9 major in the Steelmaster. He said it would work, but the comp was designed for minor loads. I guess that is one reason why they make the matchmaster now. Both look like they would be fun to shoot.

I visited with STI about the 9mm major issue when mine was in the shop as well. They told me it would work but recommended installing a heavier spring or recoilmaster. I can't remember the exact spring they recommended.