Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bridgeport Disassembly

CSEMARTIN

I'm moving next week so I'm going to be taking my Bridgeport apart in order to move it out of the basement. When I moved the mill downstairs, I had everything in pieces. However, the hardest piece to move was the ram and turret. I'd like to separate the two.

Does anyone know how to remove the ram from the turret? I've talked to Hardinge--no help. They transferred me to their service department, and the gentleman I spoke with had no idea how to do it either.

Thank you.

I've never tried this before, but you should be able to run it right out the front. ( I don't have one available to look at.)

If that doesn't work, try to run it out the back. I would take the head off first in either case. Plan C is to pull the gear on the right side of the turret.

The ram has a rack gear underneath to move the ram in and out by rotating the pinion gear.

Move the ram out as far as the pinion will take it ,remove the set screw in the turret casting

holding in the pinion gear. Remove the pinion gear by pulling it straight out.

Block up the ram off of the table with some kind of timbering, take off some of the weight

of the ram by cranking the table up and until the ram will slide out. Then you will have the

ram out of the dove tail ways, it is heavy. You are taking the head off first right?

Your friends might remember the first time. :devil:

I was kind of hoping they had forgotten by now, but I'm guessing they remember the whole ordeal. :roflol:

Luckily, the moving guys are going to lift everything out of the basement for me. I just have to get it into pieces first. I'm renting an engine hoist this friday. In fact, it'll be the same one I used to put everything together. When I get to my new place, it's going in the garage. I'm never doing the Bridgeport in the basement thing again. What a nightmare! What was I thinking?

You are taking the head off first right?

Absolutely! I'm going to take the motor and head off. I like the idea of using the knee/table to lift up on the ram to take the weight off the turret. That should make it easier to get the pinion gear out.

Thanks guys! You've been more help to me than the company that makes this machine.

Can't help with Bridgeport disassembly, but your challenge comes just as my dad finished moving his Bruidgeport up from his walkout basement. The route was about 30 ft across the basement, out thru an entryway, 20ft across a concrete patio, then about 50ft up a long grade to the upper level, and 20 more ft into the garage. All in all, 3 weeks' work, by hand, by himself. He's 92.