Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shoot Like Yourself

ErikW

Ever see The Bad News Bears? Their pitcher* tries to imitate the style of famous major leaguers and can't get the ball across the plate. Coach Buttermaker says, "Just throw the ball." When the kid goes into a major league wind-up, he stops him and says not to pitch it, just throw it in to the catcher. The pitcher does so, and it goes across the plate. The coach got him to use his own style.

I've been working on a weakness of mine, run-n-gun hosing. I've been trying to be like those guys who run like their hair is on fire and crank out rounds while sprinting. My normal method is to walk slowly while shooting. I've found I can't even shoot accurately at a slow jogging pace. It also induces trigger freeze. Trying to shoot like the other guys just isn't working for me.

I'm going back to my own personal method for run-n-gun courses: walk-slowly-aim-shoot-repeat.

* No, not Amanda (mmm, Tatum O'Neal...), the other guy

Erik,

IMHO......Don't give up on it. "I can't" is so limiting. May not be your strength, but keep working on it, maybe one day it will all click, and then that will be one of your strengths. Practice it until you feel comfortable shooting it in a local match.

Whenever I'm "stuck" on a stage walkthrough, I just visualize the super-squad shooting it. Would they stop here and engage these targets, or would they shoot'em on the move?

Whatever it is that I think they'll do, I'm going to do it! If I can't do it well, I'm gonna practice it till I get good at it. ;)

See you guys this weekend.

I'm seeing a blur of target and no sight. :unsure::( And I feel I can't make up shots; I'm past the vision barrier or past the 180.

(Man, you guys didn't even blink at the Bad News Bears! Gotta be the first and last time that's used to discuss shooting here.)

I'm going back to my own personal method for run-n-gun courses: walk-slowly-aim-shoot-repeat.

I'm learning to memorize each stage I shoot, to the last shot, I memorize my potential "problem" areas and make a mental note of "what if's" if things should start to go wrong. BUT when that buzzer goes off, I'm like a 10 year old kid high on sugar, running around with my head cut off wondering which targets I forgot to shoot.

I'm just a lowly B Limited, but what I have found is that when I call each shot, slow down to the point where I make NO mistakes, yet fast enough to keep my hit factor up, shoot smooth and consistent, I usually end up winning matches over A's and Masters. BUT it's a constant battle stick to that gameplan.

Being smooth and consistent will win you matches.

Eric, I'm not sure if this will help but here's what I learned when me and jasonub were practicing to shoot round plates (@ ~10-15 yards) on the move.

1. The sight was bobbing more than I was comfortable holding on target.

2. I had the tendency to focus more on the front sight "fighting for control."

3. Even though the FS was moving, it never really strayed too far away from the plate (failed to "see" this sooner due to #2 above).

Two things I adjusted were my sight focus (acceptability in what I saw) and my strides. Somehow I had this notion that I must hold "dead center". This was a futile attempt as you may have already learned. Accepting a non-dead center hold, breaking the shot "on some part of the plate" and hitting it felt weird. But it worked for me.

Then after several runs I realized that I was no longer doing that groucho (?) walk. Instead I was taking longer strides and breaking my shots while one foot was in the air. And I didn't plan for this to happen. It just did.

The biggest barrier I over came (and still trying to work on but the dry fire practice have been helping a lot) is getting comfortable even with that sight (I can only guess even more so in a dot) wobbling all over the place. It may not be as bad as you think it is. ;)

HTH.