Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli M2 - 21" or 24"?

elenius

This would be for tactical/limited and some outlaw matches. A 24" would let me get one more shot in the tube (I want a tube that's flush with the barrel), but is perhaps a bit clumsier/slower to handle? Is the weight difference negligible? What would you get and why? Not planning to shoot any clays or ducks with it.

I prefer the 21" as I don't go international and like the shorter barrel. If they only had a 24 and not a 21...I would take the 24". Its not that big a difference. Some of those big name shotgunners like KurtM prefer the 24" and a big part of that is international restrictions on barrels less than 24"

Weight difference is about 2.5 ounces for the 3 inch difference.

The majority of matches do not let tactical load more than 8 in their tube now anyways so my tube is flush with my 21". But if need be.....I add the longer tube and just let it protrude past the barrel. The FNH/CMMG match was one of those.

I am new to the 3 gun world so I went through this whole thing just about a month ago.

I bought an M1 with a 24" with a Nordic tube that holds 8. The barrel is a few inches longer than the tube. I went with the 24" because I too thought the 21" with a tube sticking out past the barrel would look weird.

I think the reason I felt the 21" would look weird is because most of the tacticool home defense guns have that flush barrel and tube thing going which does look the best in my opinion. With that said you don't get any extra points for looking cool.

Since I bought my 24" M1 gun I have handled and shot the 21" and the difference in weight is there but isn't too big of a deal. The shorter barrel will give you less chances to hang your barrel on a port or something.

The 24" will give you a slightly longer sight radius for shooting slugs which is good too.

So either way you go you will be OK.

When I eventually upgrade to the M2 I will be getting it in 21". The lighter gun is nice when holding it one handed at your sholder during weakhand reloads. I like the idea of shorter is better for getting around barricades and in and out of ports and doors.

I have the 21" on both my M1 and M2 and I like having the 9 round tube sticking out a tad. Not a big deal, but it feels better to use the tube when poking ports open, or when dumping the gun into a barrel.

For USPSA matches I use a tube limiter, since I dont trust my ability to count to 8 ;)

So is the concensus is that while 21" is probably "optimal" 24" is fine?

I'm going to pick up a Mossberg 930 and they sell one with a 24" barrel which would save me considerable cash versus having one cut down and re-threaded for chokes.

Thanks,

Jeff

So is the concensus is that while 21" is probably "optimal" 24" is fine?

I'm going to pick up a Mossberg 930 and they sell one with a 24" barrel which would save me considerable cash versus having one cut down and re-threaded for chokes.

Thanks,

Jeff

For a 26, or a 28, I would definitely consider having it cut and re-threaded, for a 24 I would just run it as is.

I've shot both a 21" and a 24" in an M2 and both are fantastic. In my case the 21" seemed to shoot my favorite slugs better but the 24" patterned shot better and shot most slugs good... If I have my way I'll have a 21" and 24" barrel and keep playing with them both.

There's a great deal on the forum right now for a 24" M2! :)

I shoot a 21 inch and was told a 24 was too long. Since that time I shot a friend's 24 and can not tell any difference in feel and speed. The 24 does however enjoy the longer sighting plan to help you on those 125 yard slug shots that we encountered at the BR3G. If I had it to do over I would have gone 24 but the difference is not enough to make me trade my 21.