Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington Replacement Program

KenT

Hi all

Having reviewed a number of posts from the guys in the UK, there seems to be a growing trend to dump the 1100/1187's in favour of Benellis/X2's Brownings etc. for next season.

Showing that finally my advice is being followed, you know it makes sense.

:D

Comments please...... to the now vindicated but recently ridiculed Benelli UK fan Club President

:lol:

Cheers

Ken

Hmm, I dont see any reason to change.. yet.

Will be monitoring the situation.

Reliability is key, how the gun cycles, recoils etc is secondary, I have very little if any issues with my gun(s) at present so will be staying remington for the time being. Plus there are plenty of add on bits..

Rich

Hi Ken,

I wouldnt be so sure that it can be classed as a trend yet but I hope people can get to see different guns on the circuit, have a shoot of them and see the alternative benefits they can give.

I think the X2 is a great alternative in modified. It weighs the same as a Remmy, it is much more reliable, mine hasnt had a failure in over 500 rounds so far but I couldnt say that about my 11/87, it takes 15 and is gas operated and easy shooting.

In limited I think the M1 is the way forward as compared to the X2. You can buy it with a 24' barrel: the shorter the better in my eyes (you cant get 24' X2 barrels in the UK), again it has the reliability factor and it is so light you can run round with it all day in the shoulder using weak hand loading which I am convinced is the way forward. (I apologise to Kurt for all my sceptisism about the gun!). Being a bit of a wimp I do find it kicks hard but I will try and be brave. :(

For pump I think Ade will do well with his Nova and I am keen to see it up and working. I think that may be my next gun, or a gold.

I know one or two people are now seriously considering the X2 to move to and ditching the remmys. Isnt it about time you got rid of that old 870 !! :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike

You are right about me needing to replace my Remi 870, it is virtually falling apart, and I can feel a Benelli Nova coming on. However as someone who has been RO'ing for a number of years, I can honestly say that I have only ever seen about one or 2 Remi 1100/1187's in regular circuit use actually complete a COF totally reliably. i.e. no stuff ups/ jams/ stovepipes/ lock backs/ closing on empty chamber/ failure to lock open on last shot fired. When I say reliably I mean for a COF absolutely no malfunctions at all. I am not trying to berate Remingtons, however I am simply reporting what I have observed, over the years. The biggest problem I have witnessed seems to be with the Eazy Loaders, when these are fitted, then the Jams start, one that does work totally reliably is Mr Beazeleys who actually runs his 'au-natural' maybe there is a moral there.

See you at the Club Champs

Ken

Having knocked around the ESC with Ken, the Nova looks like a good option in pump, for one thing it doesn't throw rounds back at you when you try and load 2 at a time like my 11-87.

On reliability yes the 11-87 can be tempremental when it gets hot or dirty but before I splash out on a Nova or X2 I'll wait to see how they do on the UK circut. The old M1 hated felt wad cartridges, which is all we can shoot on my range.

There is also the small matter that having left her at home with the baby while I swanned around Italy I may get locked out of the house if I actually fill the spare slot on my FAC with a new gun this year by Mrs J!java script:emoticon(':wub:')

smilie

My Remi still has a few more rounds left in it yet and I am not yet prepared to consign it to Bunny hunting.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Whilst I find it all very interesting, this talk of the end of Remingtons, what I don't see is any evidence! All of the major players in the UK shoot 1187/1100s (sorry James!) one or two are 'talking' about changing and one or two will, but that is hardly the end of the line.

I shot an 870 this season to make the 'Limited Pump' team for Italy, but am now back to my 1187 which has shot flawlessly for as long as I can remember (Kiss of death!). The 870 never missed a beat either so what's the problem?

That said I am interested in the new guns and will follow developments with interest. If the X2 does takes off it will be thanks to Mike45 who went out and got one when nobody else in the UK had even heard of them, well done Mike!

Welcome Trojan !

Nice to see you took the leap and decided to join in :rolleyes:

I apologise to everyone else as this is a very insular topic for us Brits, but I think we are now realising there are different and sometimes better and smarter options when it comes to shotguns.

I fear we may only now be discovering what everyone else in the world takes for granted - that is if a gun type, action, method works for one, it doesnt mean it works for another, and its all down to personnal preferences, likes and experiance.... but there are other choices.

Lord knows there are enough threads on this forum discussing the individual merits of a gun type compared to another, and each has its advantages and disadvantages as you rightly point out.

But I must admit its is nice to see people in the UK now recognise there are more than two gun makes out there that work for our sport (but I cant help thinking we are now realising what everybody else knew 5 years ago !) :(

Mike

PS.....Yep, he won again today...and again did it with my gun, so now its confirmed that I hate him !