Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 seating depth, trim length and crimping with cannelure

MustangGreg66

I've also been thinking about seating depth, trim length and crimping with cannelured bullets. I figured this would go better in a separate topic so we can not wander too far here. Like I said in a previous post, I'm thinking of getting some 55gr FMJ's to load up for my AR, either Hornady or MG bullets. I've heard the MG has the cannelure further back or forward on the bullet, I forget which. So I was thinking, if I want a max OAL for accuracy, ojive closest to the lands as possible while remaining magazine length for the AR, what would I have to trim my brass to in order to get that seating depth and still crimp on the cannelure? If it varys by bullet then when I trim, I'd have to dedicate that brass to reloading that bullet? Do people think about this stuff or is 1.750" the standard case length and then just pluck the pullet down to the cannelure and go?

I trim to 1.755 and seat the bullet around 2.20. As for dedicated case length, you will find when you start measuring case length a variance from 1.740-1.760+. Thus crimping consistently into a canalure is not feasible.

I shoot Hornady 55gr FMJBT w/c in mixed brass. I trim the cases to 1.750, load to OAL 2.250, crimp necks with Lee factory crimp die. With AA2230 powder and CCI primers this load shoot 1/2 groups in my M-4. Works for me.

Edited by Mike Morcillo