Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 brass movement prevents primer seating

Searched and read about all the issues with Station 1 brass alignment and sizing die, but, did not read anything specific to the following issue....

Setup Dillon 550B with case feeder, 45ACP Dillon dies.

I have identified 2 specific locations on the shellplate where the following problem occurs most often regardless of brass head stamp....

(No issues on the upstroke moving the brass into the resizing die)

The problem...

On the down stroke (after sizing) the brass will move approximately an 1/8" out of position in the shell plate thus preventing the seating of the primer. The shell plate is clean with no debris (powder, etc) lodged into the groove of the shell plate. The press is level on my bench. I have loaded many many thousands of rounds on this shell plate and the problem is becoming an aggravating issue if I have to stop the progression and reseat the brass 7 out of 10 times to seat the primer.

I have removed the shell plate and examined for problems; I can't see anything wrong. The shell plate is properly installed.

Further, I can't imagine that the softer brass would wear down the steel shell plate over time. But...perhaps so.

I have noted that if I pause the down stroke just as the brass exits the resizing die and then move VERY VERY slowly to the full down position, the case feeder piston will 9 times out of 10 hold the brass in the correct position. But, in the past, I have never had to go in super slow motion on the down stroke to prevent the brass from moving out of the shell plate.

Any ideas?

I am about to order a new shell plate.

Edited by Roadrider18

It may be that the feeder piston is bumping the brass hard enough to bounce it out of the shell plate just a bit on the way down. You mentioned that it seems to be better if you go slowly, so that's my guess. The stroke of the piston may need to be moved some to change this. Mine's packed up for sale at the moment, so I can't go look at it, but IIRC the shaft that the piston rides on can be moved out a bit to lighten the "push" both ways.

Hope this helps.

Alan~^~

I removed all parts and reinstalled per instructions thinking that maybe something got out of adjustment over the many thousands of rounds through the feeder/press.

Nothing seemed out of whack until I went to tweak/adjust the cam plate per the instructions under Troubleshooting in the op man.

I do not have nearly enough adjustment capability at the plate's bolt attachment points on the press to achieve the type adjustment on the cam described in the instructions.

Very interesting.

I will call Dillon tomorrow and find out if the cam plate has been redesigned.

I pre-ordered the case feeder as soon as it was announced so I am sure the plate is a first iteration.