Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

125 lrn or 147 fp for practice?

B_Seehawer

I'm early on in reloading, not sure which is better for a practice load (minor) in 9mm. I'm just looking to load up some practice stuff, I can get the bullets pretty cheap, only 2 bucks difference per 1k. Which is going to be the lightest recoiling with about a 130 pf? Go ahead and list your pet loads if you like. The only 2 powders I have are WST and Titegroup.

ganderman

Hello: Use the 147's if you want a soft push on your hands. My load is 147 Precision's, 3.2 grains Tite Group and loaded to 1.140" OAL. It is 130PF through a Glock 17. Saying all that I would practice with the same load you are going to use for competition. You can use lead for practice and jacketed for competition or just lead for both. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I practice (drill) with the same ammo I use in matches. Search this sub-forum for loads. TiteGroup is a poor choice for bare lead. Haven't used WST. The 147 gr will be the softest at matching PF.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 147 gr LFP with WSF powder. Accurate and soft shooting.

I've never found a real accurate load for 125 gr lead bullets. Nothing that I would shoot past 7-10 yards.

3.9 WSF

1.160 OAL

WSP

128 PF

Load to 1.150 OAL for CZ SP-01 magazine.

Titegroup works with lead but it does smoke a lot.

For 9mm I use Titegroup for jacketed and plated bullets and WSF for lead and moly.

Recoil perception is very individualized. Most individuals wwould state that the 147 gr. bullet at ca 900 fps is softer than a 125 gr. at ca. 1100 fps. I prefer the heavier bullet for both match and practise. W-231, Bullseye and WSF are good choices for the 147 gr. lead bullet.