Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Night Force = China?

kz45

I was told that NF is getting some or alot of their components from China, is there any truth to this? that would be a deal breaker for me, my scope is on back order and my card has not ben charged yet.

Absolutely false. Not a single piece of a NF scope comes from China. They do get some parts from Japan, but name me a scope company that doesn't. I can tell you, the F1 scopes are made 100% here in the US. ALL NF scopes are assembled in Orofino, Idaho and it's just a matter of time before the entire line is made and assembled here.

Not all of the scopes on there site say Made in USA, but the one I want does, I have heard that the best glass comes from Japan and Germany, I don't care about that, I just try to avoid china stuff if possible.

The reason the glass from Japan is so good is because of the lava content in the sand they use to make the glass. About 15 years ago, AT&T tried to replicate the quality of the foreign glass by taking samples near Mt. Saint Helens. They wanted it for the purpose of creating a fiber optic for transferring data. Well they spent a whole bunch of money just to resolve they couldn't get the same quality. They resolved just to buy the Japanese product as its transfer rate was over 70 times better than anything they could make. So long story short, even the Germans buy glass from Japan. It's the best in the world. The Germans just grind and polish it themselves and apply their own coating, but it still comes from Japan.

Some of the NF tubes were outsourced, they are working on bringing all of that business "in house" and soon will make their entire line here in the USA. The glass will still come from Japan though.

The reason the glass from Japan is so good is because of the lava content in the sand they use to make the glass. About 15 years ago, AT&T tried to replicate the quality of the foreign glass by taking samples near Mt. Saint Helens. They wanted it for the purpose of creating a fiber optic for transferring data. Well they spent a whole bunch of money just to resolve they couldn't get the same quality. They resolved just to buy the Japanese product as its transfer rate was over 70 times better than anything they could make. So long story short, even the Germans buy glass from Japan. It's the best in the world. The Germans just grind and polish it themselves and apply their own coating, but it still comes from Japan.

Some of the NF tubes were outsourced, they are working on bringing all of that business "in house" and soon will make their entire line here in the USA. The glass will still come from Japan though.

So the real question is whether Freedom Gunworks can come up with a smokin' price on NF scopes! ;)

I'm not to decision making point yet, but have waffled back and forth between a NF or USO. I've got a nice Leupold VXIiI 3.5-10 w/target turrets etc on my one bolt gun, but you see those every day....solid, dependable, but not exactly all that. I honestly want to put that scope on my hot-rodded (as in over $1K) 10/22 and put something better on the sniper rig. Always planning...

To keep this more post related, my father studied optics as part of his physics major in college. This was in the late 50s and they had tons of donated stuff from the military; much of it had been taken from Germany and Japan. They were all surprised when the best Japanese glass was every bit as good as the best German glass and sometimes a touch better. They were taking lenses out of stuff like artillery spotting scopes, naval ship binos, etc and looking for purity of light, aberrations, and all the other issues you run into with glass. He said they were all surprised when the Japanese glass was so good. He said right then and there he knew all the 50s talk of "Japan makes junk" was just BS....no country could make glass that good if they didn't have a bunch of smart people. We think glass is pretty simple, but it sure isn't when you're talking scope glass....not even close.

I was out on a shoot and one of the guys had something wrong with his rifle and took off his scope (a NF ?-22X?). Couldn't tell you which model or how old it was. But the scope had "Made in Japan" on the bottom.

The made in Japan writing stuck out as I had always thought that NF was made here.

I believe some of the early nightforce scopes had "made in japan" on them. I have seen some of the real early nightforce scopes that said made in japan. The two that I have do not say on the scope where they are made, but I believe the box's said made in the USA.

On a side note, Nightforce customer service is awesome, and the scopes are bulletproof. I am hoping Bobby will get some screamin deals on some 1-4's. I would love to have a 1-4 nsx for 3 gun.

Randy

The 1-4's are back ordered at the moment. As far as I know everyone is out of them. The unfortunate thing about the NF dealer program is the MAP pricing structure. Most everybody sells at MAP, which is as low as NF will allow any dealer to do. Then there are folks like Larue that throw mounts in to sweeten the deal. I don't have some nifty mount that I can pitch in there, but I might could come up with something.

And before I get in trouble, let's try and keep this topic on track with the discussion about NF scopes being made in or having parts from China. I don't want it to turn into a FGW advertisement. Flex has a loooooong reach and I don't need another whoopin' amongst the head and shoulders!!!

About 6 or so years ago,I had one of the 5.5x22 AO Benchrest scopes that NF had. It said made in Japan on the bottom and I had asked someone about that and they said that the scopes were assembled in Japan at Hakko and that it was Japanese glass and the tube was made by them but with USA made materials for the internals sent over there and assembled to NF's specs. But now the majority of their stuff is made and assembled here on the homefront except for a few select parts from what I understand. The BR scope I had was still a piece of art in riflescopes in fit and function.

If you want to know the history of NF scopes, please give them a call and ask them so we can put a stop to the misinformation traveling the internet.

Well Bobby......you seem very well in the know of what is misinformation and what is not......maybe you should correct it rather than set such a negative tone. The internet is for discussion. I believe discussion is taking place.

Tod, we can continue to regurgitate misinformation on the internet all day long in the name of discussion. It doesn't do anyone any good, not the community or the company. Getting to the route of the truth can best be done by contacting NF. They have always been very friendly and answered all of my questions regarding their product line. My response was not directed towards your comments. I posted the information I am privy to about the company in discussion here already. Some of their components were machined over seas, still are, but Nightforce is working diligently to bring that part of the manufacturing back home. All the new lines of scopes are 100% made here except maybe the glass. It's already been pointed out that some of the best glass comes from overseas, I am in total agreement with that. I would not harbor an unpatriotic feeling twds NF for using Japanese glass in their optics, unless Japan was to bomb Pearl Harbor again, then I might have issue. ;) Every NF scope I own (except for 1 prototype scope) is stamped on the bottom of the tube "Made in Japan", in which case the tube was. I'm sorry you interpreted my tone as being negative, it wasn't. My intent was to offer the best possible solution for anyone interested in how to come up with the truth about NF scopes. I don't believe everything I read on the internet. It's no secret I'm partial to NF optics, the products and the people are top rate in my book.

I just got off the phone with Connie from NF, she said that the 1x4 is completely made in USA, the only thing coming from overseas was the Glass (Japan), some of the bigger scope bodies come from Japan, but not for much longer, I am relieved and completely satisfied this is the truth and will try to patiently wait on my scope the come in.

I should have went to the source first, I didn't mean to start anything or spread a bad light on NF,

Joseph Jones

I just got off the phone with Connie from NF, she said that the 1x4 is completely made in USA, the only thing coming from overseas was the Glass (Japan), some of the bigger scope bodies come from Japan, but not for much longer, I am relieved and completely satisfied this is the truth and will try to patiently wait on my scope the come in.

I should have went to the source first, I didn't mean to start anything or spread a bad light on NF,

Joseph Jones

Joseph,

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't thing you started anything or spread bad light on NF at all. In fact, I know a LOT more about them because of this thread and it's honestly made me more likely to buy from them.

I like the idea of a company that tries to as much fabrication and assembly as possible in the U.S. and only going outside if the product is clearly superior (such as glass from Japan). That's really the old-fashioned definition of the "American way" when it's done with quality and value in mind. Now I'm gonna go over to NF's website and drool over sniper scopes :P

A real American would shoot iron sights! Made from the axle of a broken down piece of farm equipment from "out back of the barn".

You fancy-pants guys with all your glass...you might be commies!

<<< I've got my eye on you.

(...felt the need for some comic relief. :) )

Joseph Jones

Glad to know what I told you was true. I have a pretty decent relationship with the folks from NF. I think it would even be safe to say I'm the guy behind the NP-R1 reticle, in more ways than one. ;)