Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to using the Dillon 550B

I was changing the powder bar for the first time yesterday (BTW a good change to the manual for the 550B would be to refer folks (on page 11 Paragraph 2) to figure 24 page 13 rather than just to to page 4)) and managed to loose the white bell crank cube #13871 to the workshop 'black hole of lost small parts' fortunately I had ordered the the spare small parts kit from Mr. Enos with my press so I have the spare in use. Just wondered if I was the only one with fumble fingers and what other frequently fiddled with parts I need to take extra care with.

I note the shell plate bolt #13794 tends to tighten with use. in other words I get it adjusted 'just right' with no slop or shake and after about 4 to 10 increments (1 to 2 1/2 revolutions) it tightens to the point of binding and I have to readjust. can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

the manual shows in Figure 19 being able to adjust the powder die by grabbing the bottom of it while holding the powder measure on the top. thinking the amount of exposure shown in that photo to be a good starting point I got a .45 colt case stuck in it with my first trial stroke (and when I got it to the proper location I can not adjust it in the way shown with my fat fingers as not enough of the bottom is exposed for me).

(as some one who likes numbers it would be nice if each set of dies came with a sheet showing good starting positions for the powder/neck expander and seat and crimp dies that you could then set with your caliper. ( for me this would speed initial setup but I understand that with a selection of tool heads on their stands that this is a one time problem for most users.))

now all i need are some large pistol primers and I can start reloading (I have had 5000 Federal LP on order from Cabella's since April and today got another email from them saying my new expected date is 8/20/09... I guess I need to try all the local shops again. I find it of interest that many places have good stock of OEM primers that they will only sell to those with type 6 FFLs http://wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278|284|905 for example this I do not understand do not companies make these on the sam machines as the standard retail primers?

Cheers

~W~

"I note the shell plate bolt #13794 tends to tighten with use. in other words I get it adjusted 'just right' with no slop or shake and after about 4 to 10 increments (1 to 2 1/2 revolutions) it tightens to the point of binding and I have to readjust. can you tell me what I am doing wrong?"

There is a socket head set screw that stops the bolt from rotating when the shell plate is rotating. Are you tightening this after your adjustment is made?? It is located just below the shell plate on the left side of the ram. Just raise the ram and you will see it..

"I note the shell plate bolt #13794 tends to tighten with use. in other words I get it adjusted 'just right' with no slop or shake and after about 4 to 10 increments (1 to 2 1/2 revolutions) it tightens to the point of binding and I have to readjust. can you tell me what I am doing wrong?"

There is a socket head set screw that stops the bolt from rotating when the shell plate is rotating. Are you tightening this after your adjustment is made?? It is located just below the shell plate on the left side of the ram. Just raise the ram and you will see it..

Thanks I missed this entirely as it is not mentioned in the manual the the end of page 7 but thanks to you I see it on the exploded parts page...

That has fixed it