Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

West Coast Vs Montana Gold 230gr 45acp

TriggerT

I have looked at some of the previous threads reguarding West Coast bullets, but woud like to get as much info as possible.

I have been using the Montana Gold 230gr bullets for a few years now, and am very happy with them. However, several of the guys who shoot at our club use West Coast bullets, and since they order in bulk, I could get comparable bullets from West Coast for about 2/3 the price of Montana Gold.

My questions is, has anyone had any problems with West Coats bullets? Has anyone else made the change that I am thinking about making? Anyone with first hand knowledge of how these two SPECIFIC bullets from these two companies compair? Any input would be welcome.

I figure if the products are close, less cost equals more shooting. ;)

Well most of the shooters at my club shoot the West Coast bullets and swear by them. So when the bulk order came around I picked up a few thousand 185 grain .45ACP bullets. My luck with them wasn't too great. In my stock 1911 they work great. No problems at all. In my open gun I can hardly get them to cycle. I bumped up the powder quite a bit but still wasn't that great. However in my stock gun no problems at all. After talking to guy at my range a few said they had trouble with the 185's as well and switched to 200 grains without any problems at all. I really like the way they shoot in my stock gun and they are very clean and easy to load so I'm willing to try the 200 grainers. I would recommend buying a few thousand and see how the work for you.

Hope this helps. Sorry it is somewhat contradicting.

Pete

TriggerT

See if you can get 100 or so and load them and check for accuracy.

I tried the 115 gr in 9mm and the best I'd get was about 6" @ 25yds. The 115 jhp from MG will group about 2".

It would be a bummer to have a couple of thousand bullets that don't work, regardless of the $.

West Coast bullets and Montana Gold are NOT comprable. The West Coast are plated and the Montana Gold are jacketed. I and many other I know have run accorss accruacy problems with the West Coast. If cost is an issue you may want to use the West Coast for practice and the Montanas for matches.

I haven't used them in my .45's but have tried both in my .40 STI. Montana Gold is definitely a more accurate bullet. Like TheOtherErik said it's because the jacketing material.

B)

Good luck!

Hey Guys,

Thanks to all for the info. I might try and get a few hundred of the West Coast, to see how they work. Otherwise, I will just suck it up and stay with Montana Gold. Maybe I can put off my next order until I can save up enough money to get the 8 case discount. I wonder if that would blow the suspension in my car when I have to move if from work to home? :D:blink:

I was at a shooting class when a shooter had holes all over the A,C, & D zone. The pro asked the shooter if he was using West Coast bullets and the shooter said yes. He was advised to try something different in the future. I use Montana Golds and really like'em in my 38, 40 and 45's.

Guest Larry Cazes

Interesting! Guess I'm just lucky or something.....All three of my 1911s will shoot one hole cloverleafs at 15 yards from a rest with west coast bullets and clays powder and a normal dillon crimp die. I have never had issues with feeding that could be attributed to oversized rounds and in my opinion using the LEE crimp die is contrary to good reloading practice. Both the west coast bullets and clays powder have been reported to contribute to poor accuracy. Wonder how many people with accuracy problems with these bullets and powder use a LEE factory crimp die?