Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Ammo not going bang

Sarge

Here is the set up. I was at the range tonight and a guy I know was having problems with factory 9mm Blazer Brass not going off in his SIG. He tried twice on 5 different rounds. Nothing. Thinking it might be light strikes I loaded it up in my M&P. Again nothing. These were all from the same box and everything else worked fine in his gun.

Questions. Anyone know of any particular QC problems out there right now with this ammo? Does anyone have experience with this, will CCI offer him some kind of deal to make this right if he contacts them? Afterall that is a 10% failure rate.

If it had been light strikes or even high primers after three attempts I am thinking they should have gone off. Must be bad primers, no?

A local shooter contacted CCI about two bad primers out a whole sleeve. They made it right be sending him 2000 primers. I would be making a call or be sending an email for sure, make sure that he keeps the box, they will want the info that relates to what batch it came from.

A local shooter contacted CCI about two bad primers out a whole sleeve. They made it right be sending him 2000 primers. I would be making a call or be sending an email for sure, make sure that he keeps the box, they will want the info that relates to what batch it came from.
Thanks I'll tell him.

This e-mail from CCI concerns a problem I had with Blazer alumninum. They made it right. See the second large paragraph regarding the wrong primer. This was out of thousands... of rounds. I like the Blazer aluminum and brass ammo and wish I could get it at last year's prices!

Thanks for shipping in the rounds of 3509, CCI 9mm 115gr. Blazer for us to evaluate.

We have not received any prior reports of problems with this lot (E08M5) of ammunition. However, three of the returned cartridges did have a shellcase length that was too long, as you correctly noted. All three cases exceeded the max over all length specification on the Engineering drawing. I am passing on this information to our shellcase manufacturing department supervisor with the lot number that you have provided. I am sure they will do everything possible to prevent a recurrence of this problem.

I next disassembled the misfired cartridge that you returned. It did have propellant powder and the correct amount. I decapped the primer and discovered that the 'boxer style' primer pocket of the shellcase had a 'Berdan style' primer seated into it, undoubtedly resulting in the misfire. We do load ammunition with both types of primers here at this facility. This was 'likely' an isolated incident, but I will surely see to it that our loading area is alerted to this error.

I am shipping you 100 rounds of CCI 9mm 115gr. Blazer with my sincere apologies. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Linda Olin (Linda.Olin@ATK.com)

CCI/Speer Technical Services

2299 Snake River Ave.

Lewiston, ID 83501