Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

question on comstock classifier scoring

Spray_N_Prey

Ok we shot the classifier CM 99-58 Body Guard I, and to make a long story short, it's a comstock classifier that goes as follows:

Upon start signal, engage T1-T6 with one round each target, perform a mandatory reload and re-engage each target with one round each.

I was told that if you shoot more than one round before the reload at a target, it's a procedural, but you can shoot as many rounds as you want AFTER the reload. I argued that, NO if it's comstock you can shoot 10 rounds each paper if you wanted before the reload as long as you re-engaged them again with one round after the reload.

I had a couple of guys tell me that you couldn't shoot more than one round without a procedural before the reload and that the stage is considered "virginia count" before the reload and it was because of stacking.

Please chime in.

I'm thinking it's pretty simple --- you must engage each target with at least one round prior to making the mandatory reload, and you must engage each target with at least one round after making the mandatory reload......

Fire additional shots and make additional reloads at your pleasure.....

So if you wanted to fire as many rounds as you like at one of the targets before the reload, no problem right? I just couldn't understand the whole "procedural for an extra shot before the reload" on a comstock stage.

If multiple shots are taken on each target BEFORE the mandatory reload it does not matter since the stage description mandates that every target must be reengaged with 1 round each after the reload. Since its comstock the best 2 hits on each target will be used for score.

It is no advantage to "stack" two hits on each target before the reload since you are mandated to engage the targets again after the reload. Even if you pound the shots into the berm as fast as you can after the reload its wasted time because of the time it takes to crank out the rounds.

Since it is comstock and you can take unlimited shots on either string as long as the shot count exceeds the target quantity mandated by the stage description. The RO can count the shots after the reload but it is highly unlikely that he will be able to accuratly distinguish which "extra" hits on the targets were from which string.

I'm thinking it's pretty simple --- you must engage each target with at least one round prior to making the mandatory reload, and you must engage each target with at least one round after making the mandatory reload......

Fire additional shots and make additional reloads at your pleasure.....

+1

A stage cannot be virginia count til the reload, then comstock after...... its one or the other. Your friends are trying to enforce a vison of what they want the stage to be, not how its written. Fire away, at least one per target before and after the reload.

Exactly, this is straight from John Amidon, BTW very fast response:

"Shawn,

This is an older classifier that has been around for awhile, long before people started gaming stages by using loop holes in the rule book, such as could be done with this stage, however, you cannot disregard the rules because of it.

Where this a Virginia Count stage, what was stated would be true, but because it is Comstock, rule 9.2.2 comes into play. This could cause someone to shoot two rounds per target and then do a reload and not fire a shot to game it, stacking shots only comes into play in 9.4.5.3 which is VC and Standard exercises. The penalty applied for shooting two, reloading and not firing

A shot be caused they fired all shots before the reload is covered under 10.2.2.

It may be time to retire this classifier as it appears it may have been polluted, even though the classifier book does state that it is the responsibility of the host club to reach out to the Sedro office if they have any questions regarding the intent of the classifier, while the intent in this one is clear, you should fire only one round, the rules do not support it.

John"