Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can The Safety On A Browning Bdm Be Reversed?

RandyinArizona

:unsure:

I have a BDM that I want to make the safety work like the one on a 1911.

Down to fire, up for safe.

I noticed the other day i had the safety off when I thought it was on. :unsure:

I'd rather change the gun than try to change the habits and reflexes of 30+ years of shooting.

Randy

That's a good question, but if it's possible, would the gun still be allowed in Production Division? If it is, then it would be a very good modification to make.

I was planning to shoot my BDM this winter, but when I tried to shoot it last Thursday, the firing pin was broken. Feh.

If the gun is double action on the first shot, and the hammer is down, you do not need the safety applied. If all the rest is true, simply leave the safety off and pull the trigger on the first shot. It acts just like a revolver, no safety required

That's the way I would carry it too, but it would be nice if I could rest my thumb on the safety (like a 1911) and be pushing it "off" instead of "on." It's the only gun I've seen with a frame mounted safety where you push it down to make it safe.

As Jeff Cooper was known to say "A unique solution to a non-existant problem".

Amen!

The thing is, it has the smallest grip and shortest trigger reach of any double action, high-cap 9mm. I can't shoot a stock Glock, but I can easily reach the trigger on my BDM.

In addition, they tend to be quite accurate and for some reason, the felt recoil is almost nonexistent when compared to other "wonder nines."

If the safety was oriented properly (or it was just a decocker) and the thing and its parts were more durable, and the trigger reset was shorter (a la Smith & Wesson), it would be the ultimate double action high cap 9mm.