Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another newbie question ?

G17fan

There's way too many variables to say for certain. The biggest issue I have with loading 9mm major (173-175PF) is the primer pockets getting loose. It's pretty rare for me to see a cracked case. I see a lot more cracked 40 cases than 9.

Intersting "Q", I shoot 9mm major and I've never bought any new brass (3+ years). Every thing is at least one fired. All different headstamps. I can't use ANY "S&B" brass (expands too much, won't eject/extract), anything else works. I use the "EGW" "U" (Lee) die in the 1st. stage for ALL pistol calibers I shoot. (The secret??, VERY few bad rounds anymore). I'm back to a Dillon 550 for 9mm major as it was too much powder "slinging with the 650. I lube all cases (Dillon). Do a magenet sweep and quick visual inspection of the lubed cases. I case check all loaded rounds and pull the bullet/powder and pitch the case when I get a no-go round. ( depending on the age of the brass you will get a few). Ive never had a 9mm loose the primer because of it's being too loose ( Not the case with 9x21 in the "OLD days and 175 power factor). I don't keep track of the number of times the brass can be safely reloaded but 6/7 would be a good guess. I use only Win/Rem small rifle primers as I also shoot .223 and a "long" firing pin (STI/SV pistol). All loads are major (steel also) and long at 1.117/1.200 and only use SV mags. Bullet is the 121 MG (very accurate). THE ONE THING that holds true is WHEN you can see the place/mark where the case bottom/side and the case itself seem to meet ..PITCH it!!(about 1/16th up from the bottom of the case). I've gotten to the point where I can usually feel this before I set the primer (I don't waste the primer in a "bad" case very often anymore). I use that "dirty"?? HS-6 powder. Sold all my 38 Super guns/ happy with 9mm. Hope this helps? Mike

For minor PF loads 9mm brass will just simply last a long long time. Like others have said, develop a good inspection routine and you will occasionally find a bad one. While loading try to get a feel for things like loose primer pockets. I was boxing up reloads last month and the bin was full of powder and a loose primer. I could push the primer in by hand and pop it out in my hand. I found another with a very short oal and found the bullet could be pulled out by hand and reinserted. Both were L/Y brass so now I throw these away when I see one.Make sure to inspect before and after reloading as you will find problems there too. Be a student and learn from the hobby of loading. Soon you will have a list of brass to watch out for. Some S&B is ok some is steel case colored to look like brass. Have a magnet around to look for those. Mark your brass with a sharpie or something as it speeds up the inspection/sorting process. Watch out for range brass out of a 9major gun as it is probably maxed out.