Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case feeder shaft really hot

When my case feeder runs the motor and gearbox get really hot, you can feel the heat by the on/off switch. It was not feeding cases yesterday so I though the plate was stuck, I removed the case feed plate and tried to turn the shaft by hand and literally burn my fingers on the shaft. Turns out is was the micro switch caught in the feed tube but it got me worried about the temp of the motor.

Its this normal, has anybody else noticed this?

I have used Dillon presses for 10+ years and never had a problem with the micro switches on the case feeder. Now my newest 650 sticks all the time. I have cleaned it off used lub for electrical contacts etc and it still sticks. It does let me know that it is stuck again when the cases start hitting me.

I have used Dillon presses for 10+ years and never had a problem with the micro switches on the case feeder. Now my newest 650 sticks all the time. I have cleaned it off used lub for electrical contacts etc and it still sticks. It does let me know that it is stuck again when the cases start hitting me.

Thanks Jaxshoter but the miro switch is not what is getting hot. The casefeeder stopped because the microswitch lever is a bit long and got pushed outside of the case feed tube shutting it off. That fix eas to grind the top of the tube so there is no contact between the two.

It was the feeder shutting off with no cases in the tube that made me investigate and realize how hot the motor and shaft were.

Thanks Jaxshoter but the miro switch is not what is getting hot. The casefeeder stopped because the microswitch lever is a bit long and got pushed outside of the case feed tube shutting it off. That fix eas to grind the top of the tube so there is no contact between the two.

It was the feeder shutting off with no cases in the tube that made me investigate and realize how hot the motor and shaft were.

T

What case feeder do you have? It's never right for a motor to be that hot either.......

JT

Edited by JThompson

T

What case feeder do you have? It's never right for a motor to be that hot either.......

JT

Its the standard case feeder that came with the 1050.

So I didn't feel like an idiot before I got too far along with this discussion I when out and turned on the casefeeder on my 650 with no shell plate so it wasn't under any load and after about 2 hours its hotter than hell too.

The 1050 is about 2 years old and the 650 is about 8.

Would somebody else check before I call Dillon?

Edited by TMC

Ok, I just got off the phone with the good people at Dillon (working on Saturday no less) and he said its common for them to get pretty hot.

So now you know...

Ok, I just got off the phone with the good people at Dillon (working on Saturday no less) and he said its common for them to get pretty hot.

So now you know...

It's good to know... my 550 doesn't seem to get hot... may be I load slow. :)