Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Parts for CZ IPSC St

iron9

Hi iron9

Sorry to say but there are very few (if any) custom parts available for 75 IPSC.

Basically you'll have to make it yourself or be happy without :-))

If you want to tinker with custom parts, get a 1911/2011.

I forgot one: TZ longslide recoil springs are ok for CZ ST IPSC

Wolff gunsprings Stock No. 431xx.....TZ, P9 and all other Longslide models..... 

CZ mags are totally different, TZ basepads don't fit.

But it is possible to tune .40 CZ mag to have 18+1 @ IPSC Box capacity,

with factory basepad, so you don't need extended BP. :D

Thank you all for your replies. I have already solved the problem with higher capacity for my magazines. There is one guy here in Sweden who made some extended (4 mm) mag-pads for me. They work just fine an will fit the IPSC Stand/Mod. box. The pads will add two more rounds, 18+1.

I didn't mentioned that initially, because I thaught that anyone who tinker with mag-pads, would perhaps do other stuff.

There is no other magwell that will fit my gun. The orginal one is made of plastic and is easily worn out. Besides that, it is way too small. I will have a new magwell made up for me, unless I can find any trough this forum.

I have had my CZ Stand for four years now, and fired almost 50 000 rds with it. If anyone has any questions about this gun, perhaps I can help you.

Thanks

iron9

iron9 and esa1195,

It's nice to see that someone here has a CZ IPSC STD, since it's a really common gun here in scandinavia and this is the first post I've seen concerning tinkering an IPSC STD. I've been shooting one for three years and I have a ton of questions :rolleyes:

1) Do you run it with buffs? I'm sure you're aware of the weak spot in the slide which is said to be prone to cracking unless you use a buff. Personally I don't use one (I don't even have one) because I've seen the amount of malfunctions it causes on my friend's IPSC STD. Having shot 50000 with yours, would you recommend one? How do you get it to work properly?

2) What sights do you use? As you probably know the original rear sight breaks very easily (unless you weld it or something).

3) Can you get me one of those 18+1 basepads :wub: ? But seriously if you know someone who makes (and ships?) them, I would appreciate if you gave his email or something. Do you use the original spring in the 18+1 mag? esa1195 mentioned that it's possible to get 18+1 with the original basepad. I've seen only 17+1 with the slab on the bottom removed. Since the slab locks the basepad, how do you lock it without the slab?

4) Which slide stop lever do you use, the one that locks the slide back or the one that doesn't? The ones that lock it back have some problems also, they tend to lock it back even though there are rounds in the mag. I would like to have slide lock. Have you tinkered the slide stop levers?

5) Having shot 50000 rds I'm curious, what load do you use? Powder, bullet, overall length...

I guess thats enough questions for one post, I'm sure I'll come up with new ones soon :D

cz75ipsc

cz75ipsc,

even if I don't shoot a CZ75, I think I can answer a couple of your questions on a theoretical base, since I have solved similar problems on my SVI.

Since the slab locks the basepad, how do you lock it without the slab?
I normally use basepads without the slab you mention (BTW, I suppose it is a slim sheet of plastic between the spring and the pad, with something protruding from a hole below the pad): the locking of the pad and the mag is provided by a small grain screw on the back of the pad. It's the (almost in)visible item highlighted by the red arrow. It is screwed in the small edge of the pad behind the mag, and it is protruding 1 mm from edge, thus preventing the pad to slide out of the rails.

1-4-5.jpg

The ones that lock it back have some problems also, they tend to lock it back even though there are rounds in the mag.
I had the same problem in my SVI and mags, and I solved it removing the pad on the elevator that activates the slide stop.

1-4-2.jpg

This has a BIG advantage (if you don't want the slide to lock back on empty mags, but still want it to operate manually): the slide stop is always the same, and you don't need to modify it to let it function the way you desire, but you can always revert to its intended functioning whenever you want without having to buy a new one (a new elevator surely will cost less than a new slide stop...).

Hope this helps.

Here is the homepage of the guy who made my base pads. That's way up north in Sweden, folks.

www.vapenserviceikiruna.com

I'll get back to you as soon as possible with the answers on the questons you had, cz75ipsic

Bye

iron9

Here is my mag trick:

Spring:

spring.jpg

Cut one coil off from spring. I was very unwilling to cut my mag springs but

when I compared my factory mags' springs I found out that 1 spring was

already 1 coil shorted from the factory without any feed failures.

Follower:

follower.jpg

If you compare CZ follower to skywalker's SVI follower you can notice that

CZ follower is just too big and 'eats' your valuable mag capacity! There is

unmodified follower at the right and left one has had little surgery.

Basepad:

basepad.jpg

Just like skywalker said you can lock baseplate with a screw.

I just drilled small hole to the plastic basepad and now small screw

with built-in washer locks baseplate.

Then I carved basepad floor very carefully to have just a little more room for spring.

And now we have a 18 round mag for CZ :-)

I wonder if 19+1 is possible with real extended basepad?

Is there any Scandinavian in this forum which is not using CZ? ( I'm from Finland) ;)

Well, I'm not shooting CZ anymore as my brand new STI just arrived B)B)

Here is some answers you asked:

1) Do you run it with buffs?

2) What sights do you use? As you probably know the original rear sight breaks very easily (unless you weld it or something).

I use buffers, buffers help slide & rear sight to stay healthy longer.

Buffers will last somewhere between 200 .. 1000 rounds with PF175 and factory spring.

What kind of problems there can be with buffers? I've had any.

Early models CZ IPSC without buffers are serious rear sight breaking machines.

I know at least 5 buddies which CZ's rear sights hasn't survived :-(

Even welded sights have failed, of course at big match :-)

Somehow my factory LPA sight has survived, I think it is b/c buffers.

4) Which slide stop lever do you use, the one that locks the slide back or the one

that doesn't? The ones that lock it back have some problems also, they tend to

lock it back even though there are rounds in the mag. I would like to have slide

lock. Have you tinkered the slide stop levers?

There are 2 reasons why slide stop activates with non-empty magazine:

- round or follower hits slide stop

- weak slide stop spring

Is very annoying when slide locks back during fast stage. I've changed SS spring

to new one, no more locking after that. Then I started using the other slide stop

which never locks back just to make sure. Just never shoot it empty!

5) Having shot 50000 rds I'm curious, what load do you use? Powder, bullet, overall length...

My latest load for CZ is:

180 gr FMJ bullet, 5,0 gr N320, OAL 28,60 mm, CCI small rifle primers

This is only for good quality brass, short OAL raises pressure !

good luck

Esa1195

iron9 and esa1195,

It's nice to see that someone here has a CZ IPSC STD, since it's a really common gun here in scandinavia and this is the first post I've seen concerning tinkering an IPSC STD. I've been shooting one for three years and I have a ton of questions :rolleyes:

1) Do you run it with buffs? I'm sure you're aware of the weak spot in the slide which is said to be prone to cracking unless you use a buff. Personally I don't use one (I don't even have one) because I've seen the amount of malfunctions it causes on my friend's IPSC STD. Having shot 50000 with yours, would you recommend one? How do you get it to work properly?

3) Can you get me one of those 18+1 basepads :wub: ? But seriously if you know someone who makes (and ships?) them, I would appreciate if you gave his email or something. Do you use the original spring in the 18+1 mag? esa1195 mentioned that it's possible to get 18+1 with the original basepad. I've seen only 17+1 with the slab on the bottom removed. Since the slab locks the basepad, how do you lock it without the slab?

4) Which slide stop lever do you use, the one that locks the slide back or the one that doesn't? The ones that lock it back have some problems also, they tend to lock it back even though there are rounds in the mag. I would like to have slide lock. Have you tinkered the slide stop levers?

I guess thats enough questions for one post, I'm sure I'll come up with new ones soon :D

cz75ipsc

First I would like to point out that this is quite a large and heavy gun, compared with an 2011 type of Stand/Limited gun. It is not built on a .45 frame, however, so the grip isn't bigger than any STI/SVI. It has 5,5 " barrel and slide and fills the IPSC "magic box" entirely. In order to get it down the box, one have to depress the rear sight down against the slide. Anyone considering buying this gun should be aware of the weight and the size. If you do chose to buy this gun, you will have a very good Stand/Limited gun out of the box with 4 magazines. I can honestly say, that I shot over 12 000 rds, before I ever got my first stoppage. And this one was caused by tired magazine springs, and was easily cured with a re-tempering in the kitchen oven. Every owner of this gun that I have met during competition, have stated that they have experienced the same kind of reliability.

A1) I haven't fired a single shot without any kind of buffs in my CZ Stand. I also own an 9 mm CZ 85, so I have done some experiments earlier with buffs while shooting surplus Swedish military 39B ammo. Probably the single most used ammo, to shoot good 9mm pistols to pieces over here. Shok buffs for 1911 can be used with CZ pistols, if you cut the corners off. They lasted quite long with the smaller gun, but only 2-300 rds with the new gun. Soon, I found some hard rubber gaskets in a plumber shop, with the right dimensions. They didn't last longer than 1911 buffs, but I only paid about $10 for 100 of them.

Now CZ market their own buffs made of hard plastic/nylon. In my opinion, they are made of little to hard material. When it is cold, they are no better than the rubber gaskets, but they last much longer in summertime. I have also tried a buffer from Buffer Technologies made up for CZ. While it seems to be made of a very tough nylon material, it is to thin cope with the heavy abuse in the CZ Standard. I have tried one, and it didn't last more than 500 rds and they are very expensive. In 9 mm pistols, it will probably stand up for 5 000 rds like it says in their ads. In addition to using buffs, I have always used 16 lbs recoil springs as compared to the factory 14 lbs.

A2) I still use the original LPA sight, but I have changed a broken pin in the elevation hinge two years ago. The original pin was made of rolled sheet metal. I had a solid one at hand that fitted and haven’t had any more problem with it. But I have seen other specimen of the LPA sight, with a lot of “play”, so I can understand its bad reputation.

A3) The address to the maker of my base pads is:

www.vapenserviceikiruna.com info@vapenserviceikiruna.com

I have spoken to him today suggesting an alteration of the pads in the future, thus eliminating some minor fitting I had to do with mine. They are extended 4 mm and made of aluminium. I have used them with my original mag springs for one year, without any malfunction. The pad is locked with a tiny screw.

A4) I have only used the one that locks the slide back. There comes two of each one with the gun. I have broke two in almost 50 000 rds.

A5) I have only used cast bullets when practicing and plated or jacketed bullets while competing. OAL is always 28,5 mm. I use Vectan A1 with jacketed 180 gr, and little slower Vectan A0 or Vith 340 with Lee Cast bullet TC 175 gr (weight actually 183 gr). Primer, Federal 100. Accuracy with any of these types of bullets usually ranges at around 2” or better at 25 m. These combinations are intended for a Major a level of 170. I think Vectan powder is marketed under a different label in US (Nobel? Ba10 Ba9 Sp2 etc.).

If you have any further questions, shoot man…

Bye

iron9

About two years ago, I wrote to Sprinco, USA and asked if they had any plans to make a recoil reducer for the CZ IPSC Stand. To my surprise I got a reply that they in fact was working on the project. In my opinion, a recoil reducer like the ones Sprinco is manufacturing, would solve a lot of problems once and for all.

I checked their website regularly for some time, but sort of forgot the matter later on. Today I wrote to them again to investigate on the progress. I will paste in their reply here (with their consent):

I have a prototype that was designed by my Australian Distributor, but have been unable to work out the proper subspring load to test it here because we have been unable to obtain a gun here in the U.S. The guns have been banned in Australia, so he can't give me any more feedback. Until we can find one over here that the shooter is willing to loan us, it can't go forward.

I did find one shooter in Florida with one, but he would not part with it for a few days, even with the promise of a free system for the loan of the gun for testing... I can't send one out untested for liability purposes. If you run into anyone here in the U.S. that has one on the Enos Board, send them my way, as I will gladly provide them with a free system just for a brief loan of the gun.

Regards,

Alan Dugger

Sprinco USA

www.sprinco.com

Anyone out there who are willing to cooperate with Alan?

See you

iron9

And this one was caused by tired magazine springs, and was easily cured with a re-tempering in the kitchen oven.

Interesting. Can you elaborate on this procedure? Thanks.

First, make sure that your spouse isn't at home!!

Remove any oil from the springs before the treatment. When it comes to magazine springs, I use to pull (stretch) them out almost 1". Wrap all springs you want to re-temper, in aluminium folio and put them in the cold kitchen oven. Turn the heat on at 275-300 degrees C (sorry, no idea what it makes in Fahrenheit). Let the springs be treated for 2 hours after the oven has reached the designated temperature. Then turn the heat off and leave it until it has cooled down. Don't take the springs out. At least not until the thermostat is down to 50 degrees C.

I still use all my original springs, except for the recoil spring. The recoil spring broke after three treatments, at around 25 000 rds. After that, I always changes the recoil spring after 10 000 rds, and I never re-temper it more than once. I have treated my magazine springs at least five times now, and I suppose it would be a good idea to change them now. I will save one of them though, and use it for practice extensively, to find out where the limit goes.

We have a similar shooters forum here in Sweden, where I happened to mention this method a while ago. It raised the same doubts here, as I’m sure you have. Then our most well-known pistol smith entered the forum and verified the trick. I have only used carbon steel springs myself. I have no idea if it will work with stainless steel springs.

Anyone who thinks this trick is messy or doesn’t think it will work, buy new springs.

See you

Iron9

I forgot one: TZ longslide recoil springs are ok for CZ ST IPSC
Wolff gunsprings Stock No. 431xx.....TZ, P9 and all other Longslide models..... 

CZ mags are totally different, TZ basepads don't fit.

But it is possible to tune .40 CZ mag to have 18+1 @ IPSC Box capacity,

with factory basepad, so you don't need extended BP. :D

I shoot a CZ IPSC STD also. Im thinking of putting in 16lbs recoil and +10% mag springs. Is that about the same with everyone ?

Im getting the Stock No. 43116 recoil and Stock No. 74273 +10% mag springs.. Anything else I need to have in stock for the pistol? How about followers?? Will the STI SVI or Para fit the mag??

TIA

I shoot a CZ IPSC STD also. Im thinking of putting in 16lbs recoil and +10% mag springs. Is that about the same with everyone ?

TIA

Where can I get + 10% magazine springs?

See you.

iron9

iron9,

this is the listing from Wolff for Tanfoglio springs..

MAGAZINE SPRINGS

Magazine springs are available in +5% and +10% extra power. Extra power magazine springs help improve feeding with extra power recoil springs and when factory springs have weakened.

For use in:

AT-84, CZ-75, TZ-75, P-9 - Standard & Longslides - All Caliber's

Stock No. 74261 +5% XP - each.....$ 7.49 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74263 +5% XP - pak of 3...... $ 17.29 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74264 +5% XP - pak of 10.....$ 47.99 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74271 +10% - each.....$ 7.49 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74273 +10% - pak of 3.......$ 17.29 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74274 +10% - pak of 10.....$ 47.99 Click button to purchase

check it out: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/EAANF.html#EAAMagazine

HTH

Safe Shooting.

this is the listing from Wolff for Tanfoglio springs..

MAGAZINE SPRINGS

Magazine springs are available in +5% and +10% extra power. Extra power magazine springs help improve feeding with extra power recoil springs and when factory springs have weakened.

For use in:

AT-84, CZ-75, TZ-75, P-9 - Standard & Longslides - All Caliber's

Stock No. 74261 +5% XP - each.....$ 7.49 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74263 +5% XP - pak of 3...... $ 17.29 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74264 +5% XP - pak of 10.....$ 47.99 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74271 +10% - each.....$ 7.49 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74273 +10% - pak of 3.......$ 17.29 Click button to purchase

Stock No. 74274 +10% - pak of 10.....$ 47.99 Click button to purchase

check it out: http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/EAANF.html#EAAMagazine

HTH

Safe Shooting.

None of these springs will fit CZ IPSC Stand. In the Standard, there is wider magazine than 75/85. I have both guns and the springs are not the same.

There is another guestion I would like to ask you all. Have anyone of you heard of a 9mm conversion unit (slide/barrel/2 mags) for the CZ IPSC Standard? I have read here on a Swedish gun forum that Frankonia in Germany, sells them as a combo. It seems to be no information about it on the internet, but they advertise it in their gun catalog.

See you

iron9

iron9,

A 9mm IPSC STD will be available. I spoke with Milan Trkulja from the factory, and he told me it would only be available as a pistol at first.

You can try spring and follower from either Glock 22/35 or HK USP .40 for max capacity. With your + pads you might be looking at 19+1!

I know one of the Frankonia shooters used HK USP in his mags. A friend of mine has used Glock spring and follower with luck.

even

Hej Even & others! Welkommen! & thanks for the updates from the CZ factory; a purpose built CZ 9x19 IPSC could be the next big thing in production. Why would I say this? In the discussion of IPSC production rules, it was written:

“At the World Shoot, Guillermo Jude from Uruguay, shooting a chrome Jericho 941 out of a race rig [production race rig??], was leading Sevigny as of the third day. He ended up third behind a member of the Italian team, which used Tangfolio 9x21s w/factory beavertails and BoMar-copy sights drawn from race rigs. The guns of Glock, CZ, Beretta, and SIG were each used by multiple competitors, and individuals armed with other makes such as S&W, H&K, and Taurus, were in the thick of it as well.”

A bit of background material here: The Jericho is known here in the US as the “baby” Desert Eagle & is not as widely used as the Glock 34 & 17. However, the Jericho is made from custom Tanfoglio frame & slide castings that are machined & assembled in Israel w/ an Israeli hammer forged polygonal rifling stainless barrel. Comparing the Jericho to the Tanfoglio/EAA 9mm Witness commonly seen here in the US, is a bit like comparing an STI Edge to a mil spec 1911A1! The jericho also features a full length dust cover like an STI & a FLGR - it is an excellent gun!

As for CZs competing in the US (USPSA, not IPSC), Angus Hobdel (sp??) Placed 5th in Production the recent factorygun nationals using a CZ. This was against the Glock 34 which is not permitted in IPSC.

The .40 cal Standard IPSC has not caught on here because we cannot get magazines for it at all. Pre-ban CZ mags for this gun DO NOT EXIST in the USA since the mags are unique to the Std. IPSC and the gun was introduced after 1994. That leaves it in only Limited 10 division and most US shooters choose either a 1911 SS, S_I, or a Glock. Sad, really since the Standard IPSC is such a great gun!

Regarding the excellent Swedish/Danish 39B steel jacketed military ammo, we received some of this in the US but it was likely a fluke or mistake by ATF in allowing it in to the US since it is apparently very good at piercing armor! A friend shot up 2000 rounds through his SV open 9x19 w/ virtually NO powder residue; apparently from the Vihta Vouri/ Norma powder which we could not identify. Good ammo though we know that it causes 2x the wear on barrels.

Thanks again for news from Scandinavia! Please continue to post your progress.

For recoil springs on a TZ-75 open I had some custom wound for me, much heavier than anything you can buy. A must for the gun, makes the dot track beautifully and saves wear and tear on the slide stop pin. Spring is based on the George Heuning spring.