Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for cast bullet

Jimdoe

i am shooting the 170 gr precision bullets with titegroup and also am tired of the smoke... i went to precisions website and they recomended WSF or 231/HP38, im going to give both a try to see which I like better... but they did recomend the slower burning powders to the faster ones.

In my experience, the slower burning powders such as WSF has significantly more recoil impulse (felt recoil) than a faster burning powder. Not that this is a bad thing, but I prefer the the recoil feel of the faster burning powders.

How would you campare the recoil of WSF and SOLO 1000?

How would you campare the recoil of WSF and SOLO 1000?

I have used them both at similar power factors (170PF for WSF & 172PF for SOLO 1000) and the recoil impulse of the SOLO feels much nimbler.

I called a bunch of gun shops in my area and they're all out of solo, but they do have the winchester though. Looks like I'm gonna have to order the stuff then. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.

Jim

a friend of mine who is a tinkerer by nature, went out and got 1lb of EVERYTHING that was suitable for .40 and loaded it, and we shot it out of our limcat limited's and guess what???? kept coming back to WST, my last batch order ofthe stuff came out to a mere 10 bucks a lb!!!!!!!!!!! that, and when lead was actually inexpensive, i put away the open gun for a a while and shot limited

Titegroup is a very fast and hot burning powder with high noitroglycerin content. For less smoke with lead bullets you can try WST or American Select.

I am currently loading Titegroup, 180gr truncated cast bullet for 40 cal bullets, but this recipe generated a lot of smoke. At one match the rest of the guys started calling me smokey. I didn't believe them at first but after watching the video, it seemed like I was sending smoke signals or something.

Anyway, does anyone have tried different powder with less smoke but still make major? Thanks in advance.

Jim.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to test the new powder. I ended up with WST because it's the only one available the few choices (WST, SOLO, AMERICAN SELECT). Specs are:

180gr Trunc w/ red lube

WST 4.5gr

50% total smoke produced

vs

180gr Trunc w/ blue lube

TG 4.5gr

100% total smoke produced

With WST there was still a fair amount of smoke but nothing like what theTG produced. The weather was very hot with low humidity. I'll try again some other time with different temp/forecast to see any changes. I haven't had the chance to chrono it tho to see if it'll make major, but I'm pretty sure it will as some of you have said. Ill keep you guys posted.

• 3 weeks later...

I have shot about 9k rds with titegroup behind lead, seemed like the hot, very dry days I got very little smoke, but try it with even a little humidity or early on a cool morning and the smoke was very heavy. Titegroup was all I shot for years because it was about 6 bucks a can less than the rest and it gave good results, but with powder being hard to come by right now and prices that are all high, its not the bargain it used to be, so Im going to try WST.

Like one other member here, I too have been experimenting with Ramshot Silhouette with very good results with lead. Silhouette supposedly duplicates the old Winchester Action Pistol powder (WAP) which many people favored for this type of application. It seems the Ramshot folks must have the formula about right because for the .40, for which I have been testing it, it produces very consistent results in velocity, meters accurately, burns cleanly, makes very little smoke with lead bullets, and makes major with room to spare without overpressure.

If you are loading .40 minor, then WST or some of the other mentioned powders would be more suitable, but for major Silhouette is a great powder.

• 2 weeks later...
Like one other member here, I too have been experimenting with Ramshot Silhouette with very good results with lead. Silhouette supposedly duplicates the old Winchester Action Pistol powder (WAP) which many people favored for this type of application. It seems the Ramshot folks must have the formula about right because for the .40, for which I have been testing it, it produces very consistent results in velocity, meters accurately, burns cleanly, makes very little smoke with lead bullets, and makes major with room to spare without overpressure.

If you are loading .40 minor, then WST or some of the other mentioned powders would be more suitable, but for major Silhouette is a great powder.

Have you ever used WST before and be able to compare between the two in regards to smoke? Just wanna see how they differ and if its worth the shot. I'm satisfied with WST for now and I was able to chrono it and made major consistently. I'll see if our shop carry those and might give it a try.

Have you ever used WST before and be able to compare between the two in regards to smoke? Just wanna see how they differ and if its worth the shot. I'm satisfied with WST for now and I was able to chrono it and made major consistently. I'll see if our shop carry those and might give it a try.

Regrettably, the WST I have on backorder (for some time now) has still not arrived and so I cannot give you my direct experience compared to Silhouette as far as smoke goes with lead bullets. However, of the several powders I HAVE tried lead with, including Titegroup, Unique, and 231, Silhouette has been the best for producing the least smoke. Even on a calm day, I have not had the target obscured or even close to that using Silhouette. With the others... things were not clear!