Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 special col

JBeach

Started loading my .38 spec. with 5 gr of IMR 4756 (since I have it on hand from shotgun reloading) and a 158 gr .358 wadcutter. The IMR data center said col of 1.475. That col length made the bullet look lopsided. Too much out front. Shot almost like a .22 with small report, a weenie sounding load. I ramrodded the barrel (Colt King Cobra at least a 6" barrel) to make sure it didn't squib. When I unloaded the cases from the cylinder there was unburned powder. I didn't have the chance to chrono it yet.

My questions are: How much more should I stuff the wadcutter down into the brass. Why is the col (listed) too long? I'm sure I'll have more questions when I get some feedback.

Thanks, JB

So what about the col? Is this length a max? What about pressures? I'm still confused. If col is so important, why in my load will the bullet be so far into the case. I'm doing a search and try to learn more about col.

JB

Edited by JBeach

So what about the col? Is this length a max? What about pressures? I'm still confused. If col is so important, why in my load will the bullet be so far into the case. I'm doing a search and try to learn more about col.

JB

I ran into the same thing. I started seating the wadcutter with the beveled end just barely sticking out of the casing. Much better performance with less air in the casing. Sure looks funny that deep, but I believe that is how they are made to be loaded. My most accurate load was 3.1 grains of W-231 with a 148 grain double ended wadcutter in 38 special.

JB

Just a thought, was the 158 grain listed as a swc? (semi wad-cutter) That would stick out of the casing like a normal bullet.

I don't have much experience loading the full WC bullet in .38 Special, but if I were you I'd try a different powder and yes, the bullet WC should be seated about flush with the case mouth. That SR 4756 powder has a well deserved reputation for reaching 1100 FPS with 158 gr. cast bullets in the 2" S&W J Frame revolvers. This is good to know in case you ever had aspirations of shooting .38 Major with your Model 60.

Dave Sinko

I'll have to load one more and shoot a pic of it for the point to get shown, but I did find out that I was using data from a lead semi-wadcutter instead of a double end wadcutter. So what would a col be on the dewc? We allowed to post pics?

Jerry

I've got a bunch of 4756 as well as clays (haven't checked if this is even an appropriate powder yet). I want to see if it is shootable in my .38's (spec.). Just don't want to have too many powders to store (and buy). I'll back the load back to 4gr. and load to case end or just a little longer and then chrono. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

I've got a bunch of 4756 as well as clays (haven't checked if this is even an appropriate powder yet). I want to see if it is shootable in my .38's (spec.). Just don't want to have too many powders to store (and buy). I'll back the load back to 4gr. and load to case end or just a little longer and then chrono. Thanks for the help.

Jerry

158 wadcutters are kind of unusual. You're on the right track. Normally you add powder until it burns efficiently (doesn't leave excessive unburned powder) and if that doesn't happen before you reach a reasonble pressure/velocity for the round, you go to a faster powder. Since you have Clays, it would probably be the better choice for target type loads