Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder check die for 223?

charliez

I am currently using RCBS Lock-Out dies for my handgun reloading on Dillon 650.

When I attempted to use the Lock-Out die for 223 reloading, the feeler rod wouldn't fit through the neck :blink:

So, I fashioned a thinner feeler rod using a wood dowel and fitted it into the Lock-Out die.

I have the Dillon powder check assembly, but that just drives me nuts with the beeps, and it won't stop the press like the Lock-Out die does.

What do you folks use? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by charliez

I found powder check dies aggrivating and unreliable and hard to adjust... :angry2:

I visually look into each case before putting a bullet on at the bullet seat station with a strong light clamped somewhere so it can shine into the case. No I cannot tell the difference between 5 gns and 6 gns of powder, but I know my powder dispenser is dropping the right amount, and I check every 50 rounds for proper powder weight. the visual check is just for my peace of mind that there actually is powder in the case, and it is more than a dribble but less than a overflowing case.

With 223 you can actually tell even closer than pistol if the right amount is in the case because most of the time the amount of powder needed is right about at the shoulder of the case.

jj

• 4 weeks later...
I am currently using RCBS Lock-Out dies for my handgun reloading on Dillon 650.

When I attempted to use the Lock-Out die for 223 reloading, the feeler rod wouldn't fit through the neck :blink:

So, I fashioned a thinner feeler rod using a wood dowel and fitted it into the Lock-Out die.

I have the Dillon powder check assembly, but that just drives me nuts with the beeps, and it won't stop the press like the Lock-Out die does.

What do you folks use? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

dillon sells a smaller diameter powder check rod. I use the dillon powder check assembly on several other toolheads, leaving the die adjusted in each and just moving the electric buzzer assembly from one to the other. I have a couple of the rods (one for loading .45 acp, one for 9mm, and one for .223 which are the only calibers i load in volume to make this a real convenience). so far the dillon assembly works well for me.

-jared

Funny enough, I ended up digging out my Dillon powder check die and used that instead. The RCBS lock out die is only usable for pistol calibers, or rifles with calibers 308 or larger. The 223 case neck is too small for the RCBS rod to go through.