Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

wide thumb safety for SV/STI

fixitguy

Earlier this year I bought a used SV in .38 super which has worked beautifully until recently when the hammer started falling when I release the safety (NOT GOOD!) I have since fitted a new Ed Brown wide thumb safety and although it does work well, I had to take a whole lot of material off the lever to clear the Red Buff scope mount. The safety is now half as wide as it was if not less... so I wonder if anyone knows of any other safety out there that is even wider (the original one was as wide as the Ed Brown before I cut it down)

Thanks in advance!

JOE

I am trying to picture a scope mount that could possibly interfere with a thumb safety, could you post a picture?

EDIT: Forgot to say 'Welcome to the best place on the internet Joe!!!'.

Edited by HSMITH

Red buff mount usually replaces the spring plunger tube, and incorporates a thumb shield. Last ones left now sold by EGW.

I don't know the STI installation for this mount, but on Para's, and 1911's the plunger tube is removed, and can't be easily replaced. Replacing with a more modern mount might be a problem.

http://egw-guns.com/store/images/RedBuffMounts_640w.jpg

Did the new safety fix the problem? I'm thinking the cause is apt to be something else.

I think Kings has the extra wide safety.

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/newcatalog/page03.html

Edited by wide45

JV Dynamics

Jojo has an EXTRA wide thumb safety (WAY to wide for me) that might work for your application.

Not sure on cost since its custom made.

Browse the gallery and you'll see the wide ones installed on the guns.

Here is a picture of the gun w/scope mount and another of the old and new safeties (old one is on left and you can see the amount of wear). I also fitted a new hammer, sear, disconnect, and springs with a kit from brazos just in case they were worn badly too.

post-17787-1247074718_thumb.jpg

post-17787-1247074754_thumb.jpg