Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli

T.N.T

Have looked through the forum and found that most people are using the Benelli M1. Not knowing the rules to the shotgun match as yet, is there any reason why people are not using the M4 Super 90? Does the M1 Practical with recoil suppressor fitted for the new rules? Comments on peole shooting with this shotgun would be appreciated. I am looking at purchasing one or the other.

IMHO, and I am not a mondo shotgut wizard.

The tall ghostring sights on M1S90 and M4 might not be optimum for fast shooting.

Rifle sights, or rib and hivis bead might be marginally better.

YMMV.

Travis F.

i cannot comment on the m4 as we can't own it in the UK (yet) but personally i find my m1 with a rib and single bead faster than ghost rings etc , as do all those who purchased m1 practicals with iron sights and have now taken them off. BUT that is for the style of shooting we do here . max range is 45m/50yds normally although i have fired accurately to 200m with slug using just the bead(slowly though). the m4 looks a good bet for longevity but i dont know about extending the mag tube. i think the recoil supressor is IPSC modified legal this year and next not sure about limited/standard/production or whatever it will be called next year.

hope this helps james

Hi TNT,

Considering that the M4 is just coming around to dealer's shelves, it should just be a matter of time before we see more of it being used in IPSC matches. A good number of Italians during the Euro Shotgun Championship were using M4's. At present time, majority of benelli shooters I know of are using the M1S90.

In the current, as well as the new IPSC Shotgun rules (taking effect in 2004), the M1 Practical would go under the Modified Division.

Hope this helps.

Orimar3,

Enlighten me on the M1s90 thing, I have been questioning myself for my purchase of mine.

The accuracy of the sights is very good, whats the trick to using them as quickly as the rib and bead setup?

Any tips appreciated.

Travis F.

Hi Travis,

I'm not sure what your question is about the M1S90, but I hope this helps.

From my experience, I would think that the type of sight that would best suit IPSC Shotgun would depend mainly on the shooter and his particular shooting technique/style. Personally, I use a Benelli M1S90 with a 24" barrel (unported) with a rib and bead set-up. I'm using a Hi-Viz sight which works well in picking up targets faster. This is my Modified Division gun. Some say that a ghost ring aperture or rifle sights work better with slug rounds at longer distance. However, since we shoot very little slug in this part of the woods, I can't give you an accurate account.

I also own a Benelli M1S90 with a standard 18.5"bbls that comes with rifle sights, which serves as my Limited gun (called Standard in the 2004 rules). To be honest, I can't say one sight type is better than the other.

As with most things, I would suppose that some xperimentation on your part will eventually lead to what's best for you.

Thanks everybody for replies. Would like to throw another discussion on the M1 or M4. After having sold 2 Bennelli M4 through the shop, have been doing more research and would like to get some feedback on the following question. (I prefer open class).

What would be better...go for the new M4 which has a much more reliable action that the M1, but only holds only 6 plus 1 rounds, or go for the M1 super 90 practical which has a longer barrel and holds 9 plus 1 rounds?

Cheers,

T.N.T.

TNT,

I started with a Benelli M121 then got a M1S90 then just got a new M1S90 Practical. The Practical would work for Open (ported barrel) and the M4 would work for Limited. Need to decide what division to compete in. I tried a Rem 11-87 for open but found it was too heavy, prefer the lightweight of the Benelli's. Wish I could have gotten a new M4 to try, heard good things about it. Good luck.