Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel length for .22 - how much is enough?

chp5

What barrel length consistently maximizes the velocity out of a .22lr?

I've heard as short as 10" maximizes powered burn and velocity. Don't know if that's true. I want the shortest barrel that burns the most powder. Anyone know?

Cy,

Are you after velocity or accuracy? Which gun?

I have a buddy (dwt is his handle here) that regularly cuts barrels back. (He has a lot of time in on Contenders/Encore, and recently has been playing with the 10-22 and Challenger.)

Cy,

Are you after velocity or accuracy? Which gun?

I have a buddy (dwt is his handle here) that regularly cuts barrels back. (He has a lot of time in on Contenders/Encore, and recently has been playing with the 10-22 and Challenger.)

Hey Flex. I'm interested in cutting back a barrel on a suppressed rifle (SBR stamp in hand).

I am shooting sub-sonic ammo. I want to maximize velocity with that ammo while maintaining the shortest barrel that will accomplish that goal. Here's the rifle - a Savage Mark II with a Liberty Shoofly can.

IMG_3468.jpg

I'm out of my lane. What I understand (from what dwt has told me and what I recall reading) is that 16-18 inches of barrel is the number. I don't know how that might change with the heavier, sub-sonic stuff. I know that he cuts stuff shorter than that, but he is after handling while maintaining accuracy.

Might be good to take a look at Rimfire Central and Silencer Talk:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

and

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/index.ph...20baecbf4e77fb0

I see that the Savage website says you have 20.75 inches of barrel. So, you might be able to loose 4.5in is still be over the 16in mark. (and not need the SBR stamp)

If I were to have to figure it out by myself...I'd take the can off and chrono...then hack off half-an inch, de-burr and chrono...and keep doing that until I started to see some meaningful changes in velocity.

Your can is 7.5in. Cutting back the barrel to 10in would make for a nice handling gun, I'd think. If you decide to cut it back that far and use the SBR stamp...chrono every inch and share the data. :)

Sounds like fun. Keep us in the loop.

Long ago there was an article in Precision Shooting about this very subject. The author took an old .22 LR bolt gun that had a long barrel and a bunch of ammo and started shooting for velocity while lopping off 1 inch of barrel at a time. He went all the way down to 1 inch.

His data showed that the bullet velocity started getting faster as he cut the barrel down indicating that the bullet had reached it's max velocity in the barrel and it was starting slow back down before exiting the end of the barrel.

He got his maximum velocities when he was at 16" indicating that the cartridge was at it maximum efficiency. After that the velocities started decreasing again as he cut more off because the incomplete combustion of the powder in the barrel.

Neal in AZ

What barrel length consistently maximizes the velocity out of a .22lr?

I've heard as short as 10" maximizes powered burn and velocity. Don't know if that's true. I want the shortest barrel that burns the most powder. Anyone know?

I've seen a range of from 14 to 16" quoted by the .22lr experts out there. I think it probably depends on the exact load as to what the number is, but I doubt you'd see a huge difference with an inch or so either way. R,

Thanks for the replies. The barrel on the Savage is about 19". I had the smith cut it down from 20.75 with he threaded it for the can. Now I wish I had him cut it to 16". I'm not sure 3" of barrel is worth another $80 for cut and re-thread/crown, but it's pretty long with the can.

I'm going to chrono the Savage and my 10/22 "Krinkov Plinker" SBR with a 8.5" barrel. I shoot CCI Standard Velocity ammo because it's pretty cheap, stays sub-sonic (no sonic crack) and has enough power to cycle the action on a semi auto. The factory specs say 1070 fps. I'll let you know the outcome if you're interested.

Below is a pic of the Krink Plinker with my other can - a SWR Warlock. It wears a red dot in the pic, but now has a Weaver 1-3x. Good clean fun . . .

IMG_3278.jpg

Edited by chp5

Chrono Results 6-23-09 .22lr

Temp – 88 F

Humidity – 49%

Ammo – CCI standard velocity – factory specifications = 1070 fps, unknown barrel length. See more detail below.

I. Savage MKII with approx a 20” Barrel factory tapered barrel, shortened and threaded) and Liberty Shoofly Suppressor

1. 1082.5

2. 1030.9

3. 1040.4

4. 1047.8

5. 1020.6

• Average – 1044.3

• Std Deviation – 23.4

II. Ruger 10/22 with 16” Barrel (factory tapered barrel, shortened and threaded) and Liberty Shoofly Suppressor

1. 1008.1

2. 1003.8

3. 993.2

4. 946.9

5. 1016.2

• Average – 993.6

• Std Deviation – 22.4

• Average difference between Savage and Ruger 10/22 16” – 50.7

III. Ruger 10/22 Krink Plinker SBR with 8.5” Barrel and SWR Warlock Suppressor

1. 990.0

2. 965.6

3. 998.5

4. 954.0

5. 994.6

• Average – 950.5

• Std Deviation – 19.6

• Average difference between Savage and Krink Pinker rifles - 93.8

• Average difference between Ruger 10/22 16” and Krink Pinker rifles – 43.1

Summary of Averages:

1. Savage 1044.3

2. 10/22 16” 993.6

3. Krink Plinker 950.5

CCI Standard Velocity Part Number: 0032

Caliber Bullet Weigh, gr Bullet Type Box Count

22 Long Rifle 40 LRN 100

Velocity, ft/sec

Muzzle 50 yards 75 yards 100 yards

1070 977 940 908

Energy, ft-lbs

Muzzle 50 yards 75 yards 100 yards

102 85 79 73

Trajectory if sighted at 100 yards

25 yards 50 yards 75 yards 100 yards

2.2 3.8 3.1 0.0

Product Description

There are three keys to match success: practice, practice, and practice. To help you keep the training budget in line, we have Standard Velocity. Loaded to the same velocity as Green Tag® and Pistol Match but priced less, this is the perfect practice load. (part #0032)

Ruger 10/22 w/16" barrel with Liberty Shoofly can

IMG_3471.jpg