Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wolf plastic cased 223

Chronoman

Correct!

1) There IS semi-plastic cased 5.56mm ammo as pictured; we used to sell it at Shooters Paradise before it burned down. In ARs, the accuracy at any decent distance was marginal. We only had a 25yrd range, so it did not matter. Supposedly, after depriming it could be reloaded simply using your hand (no press required - frightening).

2) Wolf does NOT make plastic cases AFAIK.

3) SOME Wolf 223 uses a steel case. Originally, in the late 80s, it was coated with the same "laquer" as AK-47 ammo - and THAT caused problems with ARs, so they created:

4) Polymer - COATED, steel cased 223. The coating is entirely different and 100% compatible with ARs. This ammo is reliable, although probably not the most accurate ammo out there (nor the cleanest). Still, the price is right.

Steel 223 cases are reloadable BTW.

This is the only non-shotgun ammo that I have thats plastic. Sorry for the bad pics but it is midnight. It runs great through a contender, not so much in an AR. The head stamp is REM.

This is the only non-shotgun ammo that I have thats plastic. Sorry for the bad pics but it is midnight. It runs great through a contender, not so much in an AR. The head stamp is REM.

I played with some of this stuff. The head stamp isn't who makes it though. They use someone else's brass. The selling point was the weight savings and ease of identifying different rounds. No little painted bullet tips anymore. I talked to some guys who ran several thousand through machine guns. There was a problem there. They think it was the heat but they weren't sure. And in an HK fluted chamber, it was just plain ugly.

Neat idea but needs quite a bit of improvement.