Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The right load

para man

Im gettin ready to start reloading .38 super comp.

I really need some pointers on it..........

Is it an advantage to shoot jacketed in our race guns???

What about bullet weight ?????

What about powder type and load amount ????

Im running a  5 port comp and 1/16 twist barrel ...........

Yes on jacketed. You might even want to shoot JHP or completely/totally jacketed bullets to avoid leading up the comp.

115 or 124 gr.

Vihtavuori Oy 3N37 and N350 work for me, though there are plenty of other powders that will work. Use something slow, no faster than about the W540/HS6 range. Use published loading manual or factory data. Unfortunately, you will likely have to exceed maximum loads to make Major with most powders and the lighter bullets.

Echo Eric's comments - especially since you will be exceeding published loads, its imperative to use a safe powder that will not develope dangerous pressure at the loads you want.  That rules out many traditional US made powders - I strongly suggest VV or Vectan brand. They may be harder to locate, but they are much safer. Note- since you are using a comp, you want a slower powder in order to make the comp work. That is why something as slow as N105 is sometimes used in open guns. Search this board, there is plenty of useful data on 38 super/supercomp. Concur that 115/124 is the way to go; hollowpoints eliminate comp leading.  

Definitely hollowpoints or any clad base bullet to keep the lead from accumulating in the comp.

IMR 4756 with 125s and IMR 7625 with 115s are popular around the mid-Atlantic region and seem to work real well with EGW 5 port comps.

I love 7625 with 115s BUT... there will be no more 7625 until 2003 due to some manufacturing problems.

I just worked up loads in 9x23mm with 9x23 Win brass and with Starline Supercomp brass.

In 130 gr FJM round nose bullets LONGSHOT and Power Pistol were better than N105 and 3N37. The 3N37 was the wimpiest and even opened up the primer pocket trying to get the velocities of the other powders. This was a real surprise, as the 3N37 was the best I tried with 9x19 brass and seating to 9x23 OAL. As everyone keeps telling me, the longer case lets you compress the bulkier powders.

In 147 gr XTP bullets, LONGSHOT and Power Pistol beat 800X and Blut Dot. This was a surprise, as in 10mm the 800X wins.

In 158 gr LSWC bullets, LONGSHOT reached velocities that sent me to a bible to read the book of revelations. I have, for now, given up handloading.