Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Availability

The shortage has helped my shooting. Rather than practicing with live ammo (about 250 rounds/week). I've turned to dry fire practice.
Absolutely. I have been amazed at what I've learned (what my muscles have rememoried :) ) over just the past 2 weeks.

I have absolutely no problem with the local gun shop selling .45ACP for $27 a box, as far as his choice of pricing goes. Anyone running a shop should be lucky enough to understand how to run the numbers to maximize store performance based on what he/she can get in and move out the door. That's the ONLY reason the store is there in the first place. Just my opinion of course.

I've heard it will be a year before things might go back to normal.

I'll never have less than 40,000 primers again.

I agree, 40,000 minimum. :cheers:

If we all thought like that, it would create the ultimate shortage. It is a manufacturing issue, and a demand issue. It's hard to watch people laugh to the bank, c'est la vie. It will be longer until prices come down too, everyone that buys 40k will dry up the supply, and pricing will remain fixed. Demand will not go down on primers until there is a flood. We have to NOT want the stuff, and that isn't happening.

Well said! :cheers:

I went to my local range yesterday, to say goodbye to the owner and good friend. The landlord sold the building and business out from under him after 4 years. So, he's cleaning out his inventory and stock, and happened to come across a sleeve of Winchester small pistol primers. I walked in, he had this wry smile, asked me what I was looking for, I said "Small pistol primers, of course!', to which he threw the sleeve up on the counter and GAVE them to me, "for being a good customer". He had found them in a box, buried in the back, had been there about three years or so... I hope the new owners will be so kind!

• 2 weeks later...
I've heard it will be a year before things might go back to normal.

I'll never have less than 40,000 primers again.

Ha, I hope you wait until 3 months after the shortage ends to order them. Or better yet, there are some guys selling some on Gun Broker at today's high prices. Me, I'll just keep stopping at the local gun shops and pick them up 1000 at a time as they come in. Pretty scary stuff.