Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Excited and Having Fun

doc540

Within the context of only buying and shooting handguns for personal defense, I've been moving toward participating in local IPDA events.

Since the mid '90's when Texas passed the CHL law, I've regularly shot and carried .38 revolvers for several reasons not the least of which are slim profile, safety, dependability, and low cost. And I could hit something with them.

I've owned a few semi's since, but never carried them.

After visiting this site just just a matter of months ago, and then observing a local IPDA event, I've purchased three semi-auto's.

First, I purchased the dreaded S&W "Stigma" in 9mm. I justified it as an inexpensive 17 shot "truck gun" that went BANG dependably after the stiff trigger was pulled with serious intent and purpose. And if someone stole my car and gun...what the hey...it wasn't a custom Kimber.

Took it to the range and at 7 yards got bored pretty quickly with its "good enough" close range, self defense accuracy. I also burned through a lot more ammo in a shorter period of time than with my snubs! (Even the quest for 9mm hardball became somewhat of a game!)

It's currently in the hands of S&W on their dime smoothing the trigger a bit, not lightening it.

So, I bought another one two weeks ago, this one for my wife to keep downstairs in the house. She can shoot a snub 6 times with adequate accuracy, so why not give her the option of another 11 rounds in case the zombies collectively arrive at the patio door?

Ohhh....but then I found a deal on a Sig 2022 in 9mm (economy of common ammo). So, after trying out the feel of the frame and trigger at a local gun shop, I now own a Sig.

See where this is going?

But isn't an HK supposed to be a step "up" from a Sig in quality and engineering? (Noobs like me make such assumptions.)

I've now found another deal on an HK P2000 with one of the unfathomable multiples of trigger options.

So, here I am...selling a Stigma today, waiting on the arrival of the Sig tomorrow and looking hard at the HK.

Self defense first, second, and third, local IDPA trailing along behind somewhere.

I'm having fun, buying ammo, and shooting more than I ever have.

Thanks to those here for their understanding and encouragement! :cheers:

Nothing against the H&K, but they're not a step up from the SIG, IMNSHO. I shot a SP2022 in .40 S&W for a while and it's a great gun. Shoot the SIG, have fun, and shoot some more.

And welcome!

Leam

You are approaching the "pick a gun and shoot it" speech. There are an infinite number of options to choose from, but picking one and practicing it until you are more than proficient is always a good thing. Especially if you want to rely on it for self defense. You do not want to try and remember which gun you picked up and where the controls are when you really need to use it.

I have seen seasoned competetitors switch from the glock style platform back to the 1911 and forget about the thumb safety many a time.

Randy

Edited to add that I have forgotten about the safety myself :angry2:

Edited by h2osport

You are approaching the "pick a gun and shoot it" speech. There are an infinite number of options to choose from, but picking one and practicing it until you are more than proficient is always a good thing. Especially if you want to rely on it for self defense. You do not want to try and remember which gun you picked up and where the controls are when you really need to use it.

I have seen seasoned competetitors switch from the glock style platform back to the 1911 and forget about the thumb safety many a time.

Randy

Edited to add that I have forgotten about the safety myself :angry2:

Good advice given and taken.

I'm just in the semi-ether and enjoying the binge.

When it comes to protecting myself and the family, I'll have my feet firmly planted somewhere in semi-land.

The snubs are still going to the range and getting carried.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Use the straight thumbs grip and you'll never have to worry about being one of those "seasoned competitors" who forgets to flip off the thumb safety on a 1911 because your grip will ride your thumb on top of the safety lever and automatically depress it when your hands meet. :lol: