Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updates on Longshot Reloading data

mike deguire

I've just run out of Silhouette (7.9 gr, 1.180 OAL, Zero 125 grn - 168 PF) and have about 7.5 lbs of Longshot. I just perused the column and saw a few references to longshot powder with the range of 7 to 8 grains mostly for 124 grn w oal running from 1.150 to 1.180. I wondered if anyone has any updated information on this. I've an SVI IMM (4.5 barrel with 2 barrel ports and 3 port comp). By the way, I just had my C-More mounted sidewise and that so far has put an end to ejection jams.

thx,

MAD Mike

I'm guessing by your OAL you're talking 9mm yes?

While not an exact comparison (I use 115 JHP's) my primary load is 8.5 Sil under 115's at 1.175" for a 173PF.

With Longshot I found that 8.2 gives me almost a 171 (170.8) PF. I bumped it 8.4 but haven't had a chance to chrono it there yet but I expect to be very close to the Silhouette load.

I'd suggest starting a few tenths under your Silhouette load and work back up, say 7.5, 7.7. For me, Longshot doesn't meter as well as Silhouette does.

Oh, that's out of a 5" Kart NM barrel with two small holes and 4 up port comp.

edit to add barrel

Edited by SLM

Start LOW and chrono map Longshot. It will flatten out in velocity gain per charge weight increase and then go back down if you go too far. When you see it flatten out you have gotten all you will get out of it. It might not make major in your gun with all the ports.....

Howard, I know you've done a bunch more work with Longshot than I have so not to hijack this thread because I think the OP will benefit... What do you think of the metering properties of Longshot? I worked long and hard trying to get my test rounds loaded with consistent charges because they varied so much. Just when I'd think I had it dialed in at 8.0 (for instance) I'd get one at 8.13 or something and then the next would be 7.93. I was not impressed with the SD's at all. Out of 6 charge weights I had 1 with single digit SD's. Silhouette, Accurate #7 (yes, I got it to Major under 115's) and True Blue all did much better.

I'm going to burn the rest of this pound in local matches but I don't plan on buying any more.

I never got single digit SD's with it, I was doing good with less than 20, but it was sub 4" at 50 yards and I was loading mid 170's power factor so I didn't worry about it at all. It meters OK, within a tenth +/- is fine with me. I'll bet if you trickle charges to exact weights you still won't get single digit SD's.

I have moved away from it also, Silhouette and 3n-37 work better for me but I burned about 11 pounds in my gun and it worked just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Howard, did you notice any issues with errosion of the rifling of your barrels with Longshot? Since I have never shot anything out of my gun but Longshot I have nothing to compare it to. Right now I have about 17000 rounds through my barrel (roughly 18 to 19 pounds of powder) have the rifling is showing some wear from the chamber end. Sorry for thread drift.

Joe W.

I didn't see any erosion Joe. I have about 60K through mine now, 3n-37 is 'supposed' to be a barrel eater too and I have burned a lot of it. I have to put a new scope mount on mine and will do some accuracy work with it when I do to see exactly how it shoots, when I checked zero for the Pro Am a couple weeks ago I was shooting less than 5" at 50 offhand with mixed headstamp multiple fired cases ammo from last year that had an OAL variation of .045" due to the crap brass and compressed load. With me shooting the gun for the first time in 6 months and the crap ammo that isn't bad, but it has me thinking that the barrel might be getting tired. It shot better than that with similar ammo last spring but I was also used to the gun.

Howard, thank you very much for the information. I really need to get the load I have worked up over a chrono and shoot some groups in the next few weeks. Since I just cracked open another 8 pound keg of Longshot I have a feeling I will be using it for sometime to come. lol Although I do have a stash of HP 38 for minor loads. Soft shooting steel load.

Joe W.