Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

primers

EEH

Have any of you ever loaded 45 acp bullets with mag,rifle primers,I know my 625 wont shoot them,just thinking about a 45-acp ?????

I have done that for the past 30 years and have had no problems at all,no slam fires or misfires,at least in all the 1911's,but in striker fired guns,the striker does not have enough energy to to fire the primer.

I back the powder charge off about half a grain when using large rifle primers,then work my way back up.

For what it's worth,i use large rifle magnum primers in my SAA .45 colt revolver when I load with black powder,and again,have never had the first misfire/malfuntion with it.

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Have any of you ever loaded 45 acp bullets with mag,rifle primers,I know my 625 wont shoot them,just thinking about a 45-acp ?????

Rifle primers are a different height than pistol primers. Don't bother trying them in pistol brass.

Small pistol and rifle are the same dims. Large pistol is a bit shorter than large rifle. However My Single Shot match rifle use large pistol all the time, and most other competitors do too accucary is generally thought to be better with the pistol primer. I adjust the strain screw to suit the primer.

Going the other way Rifle primers in Pistols. This can work but it depends on the pistols ability to pop the primer. Most 1911's will as will a 625 that hits hard enough, mine works fine. No real reason to do so until the big primer shortage. I suggest trying yours taking the proper start light and work up slowly precautions

Boats