Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My 650 is possesed!!!

OK, I just ran off 200 rds thourgh my 650 (40 by the way).  About 12 of the shells didn't get a powder charge, which really did not make me pleased.  Anyhow, I kept my eye on them and sorted those out.  99% of my brass is Zero (made by Starline) and Starline that has only been through my SV.  The other 1% is Win, Speer and R-P.  11 of the 12 cases that didn't take powder were the odd Win., Speer and R-P.  As it turns out, my SV doesn't like those cases either!!!  Come to thing of it, I have had about a dozen or so squibs in the last mornth, and all of those were the odd balls!!!  This is just plain spooky!

Guess my 650 is looking out for my SV!

The allen screw that holds the triangle thing on the powder measure is probably loose. Make sure the white square washer is in the powder bar. The powder measure has a fail safe rod to prevent squib loads so there is something wrong. No squibs should be delivered.

Yeah, the only squibs my 650 threw out were when I left off the fail-safe bar. Otherwise, I suppose it could be a temporary powder jam - have never seen that with Clays, but suppose its possible. What powder do U use and do you live in a high humidity area?

If your powder reservoir isn't tightened down enough, you know, that little screw at the bottom of the measure, or if the mounting collar is excessively worn, what can happen is the unit turns enough that the rod that goes down the side of the press starts rubbing against the side of the machine, so much so the machine stops throwing powder chargres. Of course I found this out the hard way on my 15 year old Square Deal. A quick call to Dillon and a new mounting collar solved the problem.

okay, this is spooky...

I just loaded another 450 today.  No changes to the machine.  I am standing up when loading (lord how my wife loves my 650 sitting on her kitchen counter) so I see every charge dropped.  I let the 'no charge' shells go through.  All of them, all of them, were Win., Speer, Federal and R-P.  Not a single one was Starline or Zero.  It is damn weird!!!  Oh, the powder is TG, btw.

After the cases are resized (it's important to measure **after** resizing!), measure the length of the cases, good and bad.

There will be variations in cartridge case length based on manufacturer and usage history. The Dillon press depends on the powder measure pressing down on the mouth of the case to activate the drop of powder.

If you did your adjustments on a case on the long end of the variation extreme, and then encounter cases on the short end of the variation extreme, you may not properly activate the powder drop devise.

Likewise, if your resizing die is overly generous and doesn't reduce the case mouth diameter enough, and if your powder drop/expander is on the smallish side, the drop may not be properly activated.

Have you discussed this with Dillon, or are you "Suffering in (relative) Silence?

Jeff - thanks for the input.  Actually, I haven't called Dillon yet.  As it turns out, my SV is not all to fond of those pieces of brass which my 650 won't drop powder in.  So, the Starline and Zero which it does like, is all that is getting loaded, so for now it is like a fortunate Quality Control device.  I don't mind it at all really.  Now, when I finally get around to loading for my wife's G23, that may pose to be a different issue.  But, I'll cross that bridge when I get there.  Again, thanks for the input.

BigDave,

Two thoughts:  (1) Try adjusting your power die down so that it really bells the case mouth on the upstroke.  Make sure it runs the charge bar full stroke when you cycle the handle.  I'm wondering if you're just not getting full travel of the charge bar and running on the ragged edge of disaster with every case you're loading.  Case brand and small (+/- .050) OAL variations should have zippola influence on proper charging.  (2) Also, have you double-checked to see if you have the correct powder funnel?  Mistakes do happen, even from Dillon.  

My $.02,

Eric