Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Charge @ The Chrono

CSEMARTIN

ETA: Let's say the gun blows up, but nobody gets hurt. And, of course, PF was easily made. Can you finish the match with your backup gun?

Sure --- but you might need a different batch of ammo as well. I was only really anal about Nationals --- but it was not uncommon for me to drive in with three separate, labeled batches of ammo, loaded months apart. (And yes, I'd actually chronoed 10% of the rounds in each batch....)

This is not legal advice of any kind or nature, just some thoughts on the original question. I would argue that Chronoman assumes the risk when he accepts a competitor's gun and ammo and voluntarily shoots it. In Colorado the doctrine of assumption of risk has been codified in the state statutes, and generally provides: "A person assumes the risk of injury or damage if he voluntarily or unreasonably exposes himself to injury or damage with knowledge or appreciation of the danger or risk involved." This doctrine is not immunity from a claim, however, but rather an issue for the jury to consider. In Colorado, there is another statute that expressly says that a person participating, spectating or being present on the range for any reason, during sport shooting activities, assumes the risk of injury. Oh, and I disclaim any liability potentially arising in any way, shape or form from this post ;-) Cheers.

-br

Edited by joker22

I would take a guess and say if he got hurt chronoing "your" ammo, it wouldn't stand up in court unless they could prove 100% positive control of the ammo in question from the time you placed it in the bag until it was chambered into your gun. If it's kept unlocked and has your name on it, it can be tampered with and/or sabotaged.

Any decent lawyer would get this tossed in a second.