Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sx2 Practical Or Rem.1100 Competition Master?

minnesota1

I am getting ready to purchase one of these shotguns for 3 gun shoots but I'm confused as to what would be the best. I have shot a SX2 Practical and thought it was pretty nice. I've only seen the 1100 CM on the web but the gun shops say they will be getting them in.

My questions are what do you guys feel is the better gun and why? What are the pros and cons of each one?

Thanks,

Bob

Minnesota1

You may want to take a look at the Browning Gold, it seems to be catching on bigtime.

Mine feels softer and faster than my Remington or Benelli, and the speed feed feature can shave a second or so if you run empty.

minnesota1

You may have caught my last thread about SX2's and the Remmy family, and I am well and truely converted to Winchester.

I have been shooting Remmys for about 4 years and got to know them quite well, and despite all the little faults and hassles getting them to initially work I do love them. I was the first to try and convince anyone to shoot a remmy, especially Benelli shooters :D . The easy loader is always problimatical unless it has been fitted correctly and often needs fine tuning as it upsets the bolt release catch timing. When they work they work fine but sometimes they are a real nightmare.

I had a good look at the Comp Master a few months ago and to be honest I didnt really see what all the fuss was about. It was simply a basic customised 1100 with pretty plastic and a longer loading gate catch. You may as well buy a second hand Remmy and just add your own bits on and it would be cheaper. The one I played with deifiitely needed some additional work and the mag spring was as tough as old boots. I didnt regard it as competition ready out of the box as they claim and would have wanted to fine tune bits for a week or so until it was just right.

I have recently started shooting an SX2. It isnt a Practical model, just a plain old stalker model in 3 1/2 chamber. As there are no readily available add ons I had a gunsmith make a extended tube and enlarged bolt release button. The gun shoots like a dream and I really expected teething problems with it, after years expecting problems with Remmy's and it didnt falter once. I won the first comp I used it in and am now truly converted. If I could legally own a 22 inch Practical model I would buy one tomorrow.

People say they recoil more as they are both gas and recoil operated but I found it was only slightly more than a Remmy in the recoil department, and certainly nothing to get concerned about. If you are going to buy from new have a good long look at Winchester before buying. I dont think you will be dissapointed, I am certainly not going to buy a Remmy again !!

Good luck

Mike