Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Internal vs. External Extractors

rpm28

If we are talking 1911, 2011 style pistols the choice of extractor would be obvious... internal. How long has the 1911 been around using the internal extractor? JMB designed it with the internal extractor and it has worked fine ever since. A few companies have tried using the external style extractor and eventually gone back to the internal style. There are many aftermarket companies making replacement internal extractors. The most successful is the AFTEC. Designed with two coil springs and the ability to hinge in and out on the firing pin stop. Tuning either the AFTEC or the spring steel style is easy. I am not aware of any after market external extractors. Tuning them is somewhat harder due to the fact that the coil spring that it relies on is available from the factory that made the gun and no different "weight" springs are available. What does one due if he wants a lighter or heavier pressure bearing on the cartridge.

The Series 70 Colt did not have the drop proof firing pin block assembly (levers and plunger) that the Series 80 Colt has. Easy enough to remove from the gun. Springfield Armory has no firing pin block mechinism. ParaOrdnance and Kimber have their own unique design firing pin block assemblys.

CYa,

Pat

I have a very nice 1911 from reputable maker. When I purchased it a few years back it came with an external extractor. I had bad feed problems. Couldn't shoot more than 1 or 2 magazines without a jam. I sent it back to the company. They sent it back with a brand new slide minus an external extractor. It works great now. The day after it came back I took it out and ran 300 rounds through it flawlessly. That company still makes the same model 1911 but no longer with the external extractor.

Just my personal experience.