Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag release on STI

Mo Zee

Not sure if its in the right section but here goes anyways....

STI grip with a standard mag catch. For last 4 months or so I have noticed that the mag catch is actually coming out on the other side (looking at the gun from the back strap, the mag catch can be pulled from right to left through the grip). Not completely but a little bit every time I get back from the range. It seems as if the groove on the inside of the grip is widening.

This is only when there isnt a mag in the gun. If a mag is inserted the mag catch sits fine.

Any ideas on how to repair this or should I get a new grip???

I had the same problem, except it was with an SV grip. I had to order the SV mag catch that has an oversize button. It has a ridge of steel that rides in the trigger slot behind the trigger shoe, that prevents it from coming out the left side of the frame.

I had the same problem, except it was with an SV grip. I had to order the SV mag catch that has an oversize button. It has a ridge of steel that rides in the trigger slot behind the trigger shoe, that prevents it from coming out the left side of the frame.

+1

It is a cool little trick that get more mileage out of an older tired grip.

I got it straight from SV. Got the stainless steel one, and threaded for a button. Ran around $80 with shipping, so not a cheap solution, but the only one that would work on my grip. Almost the same price to get a new STI grip, unless you have a special stippling or such.