Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Nationals

Xfactor

I seem to remember reading that some (certain?) airlines restrict the amount of ammo allowed in checked baggage to 11 lbs... at about 4 lbs per 100, that is no where near enough...

Assuming that it's possible to bring more than 11 lbs worth, what do you think is the minimum for the round count at the Limited nats?

Ive never had my ammo weighed, carry two bags and put 11 pounds in each that should give you 800 rounds. I am also thinking about just doing the match ammo program.

Guys remember that most of the hotels in Vegas and I think anywhere especially if it is the match hotel will let you ship your ammo there in advance...and the'll hold on to it for you , just a FYI.

Edited by 2 para's

Guys remember that most of the hotels in Vegas and I think anywhere especially if it is the match hotel will let you ship your ammo there in advance...and the'll hold on to it for you , just a FYI.

That would be a help. Might be expensive to ship all that weight (and aren't there specific requirements for shipping ammo? ...like overnight or 2-day only??), but it would definitely be worth it to get it there without any hassles...

I just checked Continental's web site, and they do specify 11 lbs max:

Firearms

Continental accepts one item of shooting equipment per customer as checked baggage. One item of shooting equipment is defined as one hard-sided shooting equipment case containing up to five firearms, with or without scopes,
11 lbs (five Kgs.) of ammunition
and articles used in the firearm sport.

Firearms will be accepted only from a customer who is 18 years of age or older.

Curbside check-in of a firearm is not permitted.

The firearm must be packaged in a hard-sided container capable of being locked. The container must be locked and the key or combination must remain in the customer's possession. If a hard-sided container is needed, see the container section of this site.

Handguns must be packed in hard-side lockable luggage. Baggage containing handguns must be locked at the time of acceptance by Continental Airlines and the key or combination retained in the passenger's custody.

The firearm will be transported in a section of the aircraft that is inaccessible to the customer. Proof of registration is not required.

Firearms carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge.

No more than 11 pounds of ammunition may be carried
. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container. Ammunition must be packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal containers. The ammunition inside the container must be protected against shock and secured against movement. The ammunition may be packed in the same container as the firearm or in a separate container.

If applicable, the first ($15) or second bag fee ($25) applies to checked firearms.