Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead vs Jacketed

SouthernYank

I would be interested in learning how everyone approaches a newly acquired lead bullet they are unfamiliar with and have no experience loading. Do you take the established data for a jacketed bullet of similar grains, and work from there? What is your thought process? Thanks in advance

Not a lot to work with but I'll try. Assuming of course you have current published load data and manuals. If you don't, acquire them ASAP.

The bullets you've acquired are made for the caliber gun you're shooting...right? ;)

General rule of thumb with lead bullets. Your propellant. Slower = better.

Fast = bad due to leading and smoke. Exposed lead melts. Causing dangerous fumes and smoke.

An ideal lead bullet pistol powder is Unique. Their are others. Search and read up.

I load lead 10% below published jacketed data. A chronograph is used to record results. With quality

hard cast bullets and careful loading technique great results can be expected.

Jim

Not a lot to work with but I'll try. Assuming of course you have current published load data and manuals. If you don't, acquire them ASAP.

The bullets you've acquired are made for the caliber gun you're shooting...right? ;)

General rule of thumb with lead bullets. Your propellant. Slower = better.

Fast = bad due to leading and smoke. Exposed lead melts. Causing dangerous fumes and smoke.

An ideal lead bullet pistol powder is Unique. Their are others. Search and read up.

I load lead 10% below published jacketed data. A chronograph is used to record results. With quality

hard cast bullets and careful loading technique great results can be expected.

Jim

Yes- the bullet weights and caliber are fine with my gun.

I want to ensure I am taking a safe and sound approach when I can't find lead bullet data and most of the existing load data seems to relate to jacketed bullets. Good info on where to start on jacket data and how to apply to lead. Thanks

Get a Lyman reloading manual. You can find a similar enough bullet in there to get you started. Then work the load up with a chronograph.

The powders that burn cooler will be better for lead bullets. Ultrafast hot burning powders will cook the base of the bullet and you may get leading/smoke/nasty fouling galore.

Unique is a good lead powder, I have gravitated towards Solo1000 as of late

The lead vs jacketed question I have is, which type provides better velocity assuming the same load for each and the only difference is the type of bullet being used.

From my experience, I get faster FPS using Berry's bullets vs Jacketed. I always thought it should be the other way and you would get higher velocities with a Jacketed bullet.

Last year I loaded 124gr Mont. Golds using the same charge that I have been using this year for 124gr Berry's and I get at least 40-50 FPS more with the Berry's.

Edited by babob

The lead vs jacketed question I have is, which type provides better velocity assuming the same load for each and the only difference is the type of bullet being used.

From my experience, I get faster FPS using Berry's bullets vs Jacketed. I always thought it should be the other way and you would get higher velocities with a Jacketed bullet.

Last year I loaded 124gr Mont. Golds using the same charge that I have been using this year for 124gr Berry's and I get at least 40-50 FPS more with the Berry's.

Assuming the lead and jacketed weigh the same and you load them to the same depth (i.e. they use the same amount of case capacity) with the same powder charge, the lead bullets will be faster in every gun I've seen. Berry's pretty much act like lead which is why they suggest you use data for lead bullets. R,