Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Question

mb121

So I just realized that one of my recent purchases meant for the sport is not on the production approved list, my Beretta M9 commercial edition for the USMC (I'm Army but it was a good deal), but it was listed as a 92FS on the sales receipt. Now since it is not listed on the approved models does this mean that I just screwed myself or since it is a 92 just with a different designation am I good to go?

Also does anyone know where they sell the sights that were on the Elite series of Beretta, specifically the rear sight?

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Shawn. The gun is only labeled an M9 because it has the military designation, which unless I'm mistaken, can be used interchangeably with the FS designation. You should be good to go in Production.

So I just realized that one of my recent purchases meant for the sport is not on the production approved list, my Beretta M9 commercial edition for the USMC (I'm Army but it was a good deal), but it was listed as a 92FS on the sales receipt. Now since it is not listed on the approved models does this mean that I just screwed myself or since it is a 92 just with a different designation am I good to go?

Also does anyone know where they sell the sights that were on the Elite series of Beretta, specifically the rear sight?

I'd wager that at a local match, no one would notice. If you're planning on heading to a major, or if you really want to know, drop DNROI at USPSA dot org an e-mail with the question.....

Not adding it to the list may have been an oversight.....

Didn't FRONT SIGHT run an article about GI's running matches in IRAQ, shooting production with M9's?

Try contacting Beretta USA. They have more than met the minimum numbers, they might be happy to send a note to USPSA.

Nope unfortunately the gun reads M9-Beretta all over it, on the box and even has M9 starting the serial. I thought I might have been in trouble since even the Elite series are 92FS but they list them as separate entries. But since the money was right and I like Beretta anyway I just bought a FS to simply the problem and have a back up in case anything happens.

But I will be placing a call into Beretta to see why they have never submitted the M9 into the list.

On another subject the aluminum grips that are on my M9 I would like to use on the FS, but from reading the Production appendix I can't find the answer that I am looking for. Can I do this or does this have to be the stock grips?

There is a lovely article in the May issue of the Blue Press about the M9's evolution into the 92FS. Thnx Dillon for the read.

~k_day64

The whole Beretta thing can be kind of confusing. The M9 is a military designation. I owned an original 92F (M9)way way back when the Army first adopted it. I am not sure the M9 evolved into anything. Like I said too confusing.

Who at USPSA did you contact? Was John Amidon at the NROI? If not, I would email him. I can't believe the M9 is not on the list already.

If it looks like a 92, smells like a 92, and shoots like a 92 - it's 92 (in my eyes anyway).

Here is a copy of the message that was sent to me about the subject:

RE: Production list

Thursday, May 14, 2009 12:22 PM

"John" <jamidon1@twcny.rr.com>

To:

"'Val Reule'" <val@uspsa.org>, XXXXXXX

XXXXXX

As it is listed as a different model, Beretta would have to apply to NROI for the gun to be added to the approved list.

Regards,

John Amidon

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 11:14 AM

To: NROI Director

Subject: Fw: Production list

----- Original Message -----

To: office@uspsa.org

Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 1:50 AM

Subject: Production list

Does the Beretta M9 models fit in the Beretta list of approved models since they are a model 92 just with the military designation?

And when you step up to the line with it, what RO is going to look at it and say, "WHOA, dude. That's no 92! Now you're in OPEN!"

Looks like a 92. Shoots like a 92. For all practical purposes IS a 92 (militarized by what, stampings on the slide, FCOL?)

By the time anyone takes issue with it, you'll be advancing to a new gun anyway!