Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Articles You'd Like to See in Tactical Guns & Gear?

How about an article on tactical lights? Gun-mounted vs handheld?

Maybe an interview with Ken Good from www.strategosinternational.com (He is one of the best on no/low light fighting tactics.

A good lightsource is essential, couse when is most threathening situations happening? Evening and nights.

Hi Duane,

There's a story in the makings with Eberlestock out of Boise Id.. A small town guy making a big splash with his packs!

Ya, now that's a nice grab-n-go bag there. Not bad at all.

As for a cell phone when things go bad, it better be a satellite phone. No power to the towers, no coverage.

My number one accessory when I was in the desert on convoy was a Predator over me with two hellfire missiles on it. See it and kill it before I ever ended up on the X.

As for a cell phone when things go bad, it better be a satellite phone. No power to the towers, no coverage.
Not sure the how and why but when the SHTF in Katrina/Rita and Gustave/Ike but cell service never went away. Forget voice and internet connectivity but text messaging still worked.

After Katrina when several cell towers were either blown over or flooded in the New Orleans area there were a few days when there was no coverage. But the cell companies brought in temporary towers to get the coverage back up. I understand that they bring in temporary towers at major sporting and music events to supplement the existing towers. So nothing new there.

Internet is another guaranteed service if you can get a land line going. Don't forget that the Internet was designed by DARPA so that when the Reds dropped the big one there still would be a way for computers to network.

Granted satellite is the way to go for guaranteed voice communications. Proabaly could get Internet on a limited basis with satellite also but the price point isn't where I'm willing to spend my money.

This is a laptop but there may be others.

http://www.coated.com/dell-latitude-e6400-...allistic-armor/

We use both the Panasonic Toughbook and the Dell Toughbook at work. Panasonic hands down is the winner. User friendly. Any available port you could want. Even the cave men on the crew can't tear it up. I've personally used it in driving rain more than once and it never gave any problems. Before going to the Toughbooks we were destroying 3 laptops a year. The Panasonic we have has been in use for over 2 years.

The Dell isn't as user friendly and it's missing a serial port which is a must have for us to interface with the aircraft. The workaround is a USB to serial adapter which works whenever it feels like it. We haven't had it long enough to see just how tough it is.

How about writing about the effectiveness of soft body armor? Perhaps demonstrating the ability to engage a group of targets after being shot at close range. Sort of like if you were involved in a serious social situation.

Already did that one, years ago for SWAT - and still have the chest scar - and the video - to prove it. :lol:

Post the video on YouTube. I think we all should experience it.

Open carry is an option

I disagree. In times of unrest, the authorities sometimes take a dim view of armed non-LEOs and disarm regardless of the law (look at what happened in New Orleans, or in Seattle when they outlawed non-LEO possession of gas masks). Being discretely armed has certain advantages.

Open carry is an option

I disagree. Being discretely armed has certain advantages.

Open carry is an option. Just not a good option in some instances.

In my state open carry is allowed. Do I do it. No. Even in good times it freaks out the masses in suburban and urban areas and law enforement has flat told me that you're just asking for a disturbing the peace citation. Toss in the total societal breakdown of Katrina and you're just screaming for an encounter. And it won't be a good one.

Concealed is the only way to go. And the Safepacker may just be the ticket.

On a different tack I'm wondering what medical packs are available and get the advice from medics who have been there and done that. I'm my case if we had been injured it would have been hours before EMS would have showed up. I've had some medical training but have not put it to use fortunately. What works, what doesn't, what is needed, what doesn't? Calling USCBigDawg.