Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

J frame trigger problems

Slim Whitman

Hello everyone -

I am the new owner of a new to me S&W Bodyguard (638) - the gun was owned by two different LEOs, and I believe has been carried more than it was shot -

I have not fired the gun yet, but after an afternoon of dry firing, the trigger began to bind on double action - a hard pull is now needed to move the hammer and cylinder - at times it seems the gun is locked, but the lock is not activated -

It went to the smith today -

Any thoughts? As far as I know, no one has removed the sideplate - the last owner did tell me that he has removed the cylinder many times for cleaning -

Thanks in advance -

sw

The first thing I would check is to see if the ejector rod may have unscrewed and is putting rearward pressure on the cylinder.

Things like that can be hard to diagnose from far away.

its strange how smith changed to left hand thread on a part that will unscrew in normal use?? old smiths had standard threads and didnt have this problem. check under the extractor star for anything also, seems simple but stuff gets in there and people forget to clean it out

Scott

Scott, it's actually the other way around. The cylinder on a S&W turns counterclockwise, so it naturally tightens the reverse-threaded rod (the way the factory currently produces them) upon cycling the action. In fact, that was the exact reason the factory made that design change several decades ago--the old ones were known for coming loose.

Easiest way to diagnose is open the cylinder, hold the cylinder release to the rear and pull the trigger. If it is still difficult to pull it is internal.

having been a LEO gun and carried probably ankle or pocket, there could be a lot of crap in the lock work. If it is not the rod, it is a lock work problem.

If you go to tighten the rod, make sure you put empty cases in the chambers.

Pretty common previous owner took the cylinder out to brush it and probably brushed the bore plenty but let the rest of the gun go.

Clean bore is a fetish when the other parts are the ones that are going to let you down. Good thing is no harm done and you are out cheap

Boats