Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy here lots of 9mm reloading questions.

Hi guys just got my pistol permit after 18 months of waiting (thanks NY).

I have reloaded over 2000 .223 Ammo for my Ar-15 on Rcbs IV single stage press.

Have a bunch of questions pertaining to reloading pistol ammo.

I purchased lee 3 die carbide set. I heard somewhere that it is not good to seat the bullet and crimp it in the same operation is this true?

The only thing I have available to me is Remington 5 1/2 primers they are magnum primers, can I use them? If yes how?

I have a pound of N350 and Titegroup and planning to buy some Precision Delta bullets. Suggestions for practice bullets? 115 gr or 124?

I load and shoot about 250 rounds of 9mm a week. Is it worth getting Dillon SDB?

Powder burn rates? Why use N350 vs. N320 powder? I assume N350 burns slower develops higher velocity?

What should I use for practice ammo as powder selection goes?

I shoot at an indoor range with shooting lanes very close to each other; running around picking up brass is not really an option.

Any suggestions for catching brass?

Btw the pistol is a CZ-75 PCR 4" barrel well 3.9"

My first goal is to learn how to shoot well before I try competition of any kind.

Bought a .22 Sig mosquito but the only thing it will eat is CCI-mini mag which I cant find anywhere. It mauls regular lead bullets smashes them against the ramp and deforms the bullet or wedges bullet at 45 angle, does it with the CCI mini mags too once in a while.

Thanks guys, I apologize if any of the questions are too broad.

1) I purchased lee 3 die carbide set. I heard somewhere that it is not good to seat the bullet and crimp it in the same operation is this true?

2) The only thing I have available to me is Remington 5 1/2 primers they are magnum primers, can I use them? If yes how?

3) I have a pound of N350 and Titegroup and planning to buy some Precision Delta bullets. Suggestions for practice bullets? 115 gr or 124?

4) I load and shoot about 250 rounds of 9mm a week. Is it worth getting Dillon SDB?

5) Bought a .22 Sig mosquito but the only thing it will eat is CCI-mini mag which I cant find anywhere. It mauls regular lead bullets smashes them against the ramp and deforms the bullet or wedges bullet at 45 angle, does it with the CCI mini mags too once in a while.

Petrov...

Welcome to the sport of shooting. I extracted some of your questions from your original post, I'm only shooting a couple of years but I can give you some input and my opinions. OK? I suggest you try the Search function on the other stuff.

1) I Have and use RCBS Carb. Dies in my Dillon 550b. 9mm cases are straight and dont need crimping like rifle cases. Just follow direction, & dont worry about it.

2) Re: Primers- No, for safety's sake , dont use anything but small pistiol for you 9mm reloads.

3) N350 is a slower burning powder then the Tigegroup accoring to a Burn Chart I have. I shoot Precision Delta bullets and load with Titegroup, I like 115's, have tried 124's with Titegroup and both are good. I would suggest you just pick 1 rather then fiddle around 2 different bullet weights when your starting out. If you have a reloading manual look at the powder burn charts. If not, a good Reloading Handbook is a must to have in your library.

4) I say yes ! You will recoup your investment in a year and a progressive press is quicker. You might even think about stepping up to a 550b. You wouldnt need any other press and could sell the RCBS.

5) Sig Mos. 22 is a good gun. If its new it needs to be broken in and cleaned and lubed after each use. They say 22's are finicky about ammo. That may be true, but a big reason they have failures in feeding is usually the shooters fault. Just because its a 22 and doesnt have any real recoil doesnt mean you should not hold it like you hold your 9mm. An improper grip, or limp wrist will give you feeding problems. Give your gun some time, it will eat regular 22 long without problems.

I hope I helped you some and good luck.

LarryP

PS: If your intrested in a new reloading press ckeck; prices out on the store, here at BrianEnos.com.

Edited by LarryP

1) I purchased lee 3 die carbide set. I heard somewhere that it is not good to seat the bullet and crimp it in the same operation is this true?

2) The only thing I have available to me is Remington 5 1/2 primers they are magnum primers, can I use them? If yes how?

3) I have a pound of N350 and Titegroup and planning to buy some Precision Delta bullets. Suggestions for practice bullets? 115 gr or 124?

4) I load and shoot about 250 rounds of 9mm a week. Is it worth getting Dillon SDB?

5) Bought a .22 Sig mosquito but the only thing it will eat is CCI-mini mag which I cant find anywhere. It mauls regular lead bullets smashes them against the ramp and deforms the bullet or wedges bullet at 45 angle, does it with the CCI mini mags too once in a while.

Petrov...

Welcome to the sport of shooting. I extracted some of your questions from your original post, I'm only shooting a couple of years but I can give you some input and my opinions. OK? I suggest you try the Search function on the other stuff.

1) I Have and use RCBS Carb. Dies in my Dillon 550b. 9mm cases are straight and dont need crimping like rifle cases. Just follow direction, & dont worry about it.

2) Re: Primers- No, for safety's sake , dont use anything but small pistiol for you 9mm reloads.

3) N350 is a slower burning powder then the Tigegroup accoring to a Burn Chart I have. I shoot Precision Delta bullets and load with Titegroup, I like 115's, have tried 124's with Titegroup and both are good. I would suggest you just pick 1 rather then fiddle around 2 different bullet weights when your starting out. If you have a reloading manual look at the powder burn charts. If not, a good Reloading Handbook is a must to have in your library.

4) I say yes ! You will recoup your investment in a year and a progressive press is quicker. You might even think about stepping up to a 550b. You wouldnt need any other press and could sell the RCBS.

5) Sig Mos. 22 is a good gun. If its new it needs to be broken in and cleaned and lubed after each use. They say 22's are finicky about ammo. That may be true, but a big reason they have failures in feeding is usually the shooters fault. Just because its a 22 and doesnt have any real recoil doesnt mean you should not hold it like you hold your 9mm. An improper grip, or limp wrist will give you feeding problems. Give your gun some time, it will eat regular 22 long without problems.

I hope I helped you some and good luck.

LarryP

PS: If your intrested in a new reloading press ckeck; prices out on the store, here at BrianEnos.com.

Thank you very much.

Petrov,

If you are shooting 250 rounds a week, I'd seriously consider skipping the SDB and 550, and look at a 650 or 1050 if you can swing it.

You can use small rifle primers instead of pistol primers, but you need to take two things into account. First, you can't simply switch. You need to work up your load using the rifle primers. Second, the rifle primers may be tougher to light, so if your mainspring is lightened, you might not get 100% ignition. Many .38 super shooters use the rifle primers to reduce high pressure flow into the firing pin hole.

Loading 9mm for target use doesn't require screaming high velocities. My paper or cardboard targets are rarely impressed by a few extra FPS. Slower burning powders tend to burn dirty when loaded light, and they hit your pocket book. Try a faster burning powder, and keep the velocity just above your needed power factor.

Dillon pistol dies crimp in a seperate station from the bullet seating station. Rifle dies do not. You could probably trade the magnum primers for small pistol. Rifle primers is the ones to use if you load major 9, they have a harder cup and will not flow into the firing pin hole as easily as pistol primers will. My personal experience with Precision Delta bullets has not been good. A friend and I purchased 120,000 115gr jacketed from them early last year and ended up selling them after shooting only a couple of thousand. They might be fine for minor, but for major they simply would not group. I would go with Montana Gold JHP's in 124 or 147 for a non-comp gun. Seems everyone is going back to heavier bullets for everything but open. Less recoil with a heavier bullet going slower.

These are, of course, MY experiences

Considering the avaliability of primers, I think I will be able to save enough money to buy a 650 by the time primers will be avaliable again.

Any one here from WNY?

Slightly North of your position, but I shot with the WNYPPL for 10 years.

I purchased lee 3 die carbide set. I heard somewhere that it is not good to seat the bullet and crimp it in the same operation is this true?

The only thing I have available to me is Remington 5 1/2 primers they are magnum primers, can I use them? If yes how?

I have a pound of N350 and Titegroup and planning to buy some Precision Delta bullets. Suggestions for practice bullets? 115 gr or 124?

I'd be looking at lead for practice, can't beat the price. USPSA shooters tend towards heavy bullets, but if you're just learning, it won't make much difference. Are those rifle primers? Either way, I wouldn't use them until you can identify signs of pressure and have some experience working up loads. They may work, but better to not play with fire!

I load and shoot about 250 rounds of 9mm a week. Is it worth getting Dillon SDB?

At least! I love mine, but the dies are particular to it and pricey. You may be better served with a 550 or 650, you can crank out rifle on it, and use standard dies. The single stage will come in handy, leave it on your bench!

Powder burn rates? Why use N350 vs. N320 powder? I assume N350 burns slower develops higher velocity?

What should I use for practice ammo as powder selection goes?

Slow powder kicks more and costs more because it takes more. Use N320, clays, w231, etc. or the TG you have for minor.

I shoot at an indoor range with shooting lanes very close to each other; running around picking up brass is not really an option.

Any suggestions for catching brass?

Get a revolver.

Btw the pistol is a CZ-75 PCR 4" barrel well 3.9"

My first goal is to learn how to shoot well before I try competition of any kind.

If you wait to compete, your fellow competitors will help you to unlearn whatever bad habits you've picked up shooting by yourself. If you're safe, much better to enter some matches and skip that step! You can watch the better shooters, ask questions, and just go throught the stage slowly. We point and laugh at each other when we mess up and know why, but new shooters are welcomed and not judged.

Bought a .22 Sig mosquito but the only thing it will eat is CCI-mini mag which I cant find anywhere. It mauls regular lead bullets smashes them against the ramp and deforms the bullet or wedges bullet at 45 angle, does it with the CCI mini mags too once in a while.

Likely mag problem. Make them fix it or at least try another mag, it shouldn't do that. .22s can be finicky, but most ammo should work most of the time. Some guns, especially when new, will stovepipe with subsonic ammo, but feedramp jams are different. Subsonic lrn is the most accurate, by the way.

Edited by jasond