Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Recommendation Please (rifle or pistol)

I have been doing some work with hot loads in 10mm. 135gr NOS JHP at ~1,700fps. The brass is holding up fine as is the gun, but even using CCI 350 magnum primers, I am getting a decent amount of backflow. I know the is a dimensional differences, but is there a rifle or match/magnum large primer that will hold up better i.e. stronger cup? I need something in the magnum range to ignite 12-14.5 compressed grains of IMR HiSkor 800-X. Thanks in advance.

Lee

Many years ago I did the 135 JHP and the 200 XTP with 800X nuclear loads. My choice of primer was the CCI LP. CCI primers are considered by most as one of the hardest primers out there and I don't think there is a better choice.

There is a difference between LR and LP primers so that is a non starter. Typically the difference between regular and magnum primers is the amount of brisience it has and the cup usually remains the same.

Hopefully Guy will chime in a school us all on the subject. :bow:

Neal in AZ

Thanks for the reply. I am super glad I started way lower than I originally intended to. At 12.0gr 800X I am pushing 1,680 fps, at the posted reload 14.5gr is averaging around 1,890 fps. I have found 9.0gr good for plinking with range brass and 12.0gr is my, "as far as I am going to go" load. With CCI 350s, they are completely flat and depending on weather well into the 1,700s. I did try a few rifle primers, but was not able to get consistent seating.

Lee