Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie bulged brass question

islandtime

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking exactly the same thing but for the 650. Lee Factory Crimp Die, with the top/ guts removed in the last station (move seating station forward one into the slot that is normally open).

The bullet should help with feeding and alignment, and I think it would slow the rounds per minute less than the uncertain feeding of a U die in the first station. I don't want to add an extra process and want my once fired brass to have a better success rate. Gaging should catch the rare problem, with the process turning out a high percentage of "good" reloads, not the 20-30 % "Glocked" I am now finding.

Has anyone tried this? Are the results good and does it keep your rate of manufacture up?

I want to try but haven't seen any Lee FCD in stock yet, all backorder. I suspect even that Redding die that is meant as a push through would work as well.

Hi,

I use this ordinary press for about 50 $ and a Lee Factory Crimp for pushing the brass through. The FC die is upside down, so You can place the brass easily into it like a bullet into belled brass. There is no need for placing the brass on a pusher exactly as seen in the Youtube video.

post-15566-1243601300_thumb.jpg

post-15566-1243601314_thumb.jpg

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on the lee Factory crimp die in your last station. It seems to resize again closer to the headstamp. used to have some cases that wouldnt fit in the case gauge but no problems in the last couple of years.

I tried the Lee factory crimp die in the xl650 tonight. I replaced the Dillon taper crimp die with it. There was a definate improvement in the overall quantity of "glocked" brass (this from the same batch of mixed once fired), but some of the worst offenders would still be slightly oversized. It was enough better that it took me a little while to find any that didnt drop right into the chamber (had barrel removed from gun). I had previously been finding brass as large as .430 at the base. Max is something like .423 (from memory dont quote me). I now have a smaller overall percentage of over sized base ends, and the ones that are oversized are closer to tolerance (say .427), and while they wouldn't drop freely into the chamber they would at least cycle through the gun (xdm 40).

I am not satisfied with this result but am still unwilling to add an outside process such as roll forming or the push through die. I think I will look at grinding the die down to get the sizing ring closer to the shellplate.