Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow motion video request

Flexmoney

It's interesting how much 'feel' is involved in the whole process-- I find it more difficult to call the plate impact locations with the 10x-slower dot video than I do while shooting normally-- probably because the dot track is odd and I don't get the rest of the feedback of when the shot actually breaks and so on.

Cool observation.

The iron sight video has to be tuff to do because the camera would want to auto focus on the rear sight and not the front. You would need a professional rig to setup the focus on the front sight.

Either way, seeing guns fire in slow motion is eye opening to how violent the whole process really is. When you watch someone shoot in person you might be able to see their slide flick back and forth, but you miss out on all of the waving around of the gun. I have tried really hard at matches to try and see the hammer drop on someone’s gun before the shot goes off, but I am yet to see it happen. Its just happening too fast.

I had to set the camera to manual focus and carefully dial it in... I have a number of really fuzzy outtakes... The biggest problem I had was shooting with the camera between me and the sights, so what's arms-length to me is only a foot or so from the camera lens to the sights, making the focal length problem even worse. I got a little more distance from the lens by shooting strong-hand and twisting my body around, but then recoil & trigger control sucked. Without the green rears it would have been a lot more troublesome to actually hit anything with the irons.

Half-silvered glass and a better optical path might work, but I don't have any of that handy <_<

Here's one more with the dot... a little more focus on the plates so you can watch the bullets fly on a couple of them. I find it easier to call these, but it's easy to 'cheat' by watching the bullet track. Also has a 'sped-back-up-to-real-time' bit at the end.

Does anybody know if there is a faster frames per second hatcam...err... "posercam" video set up?

I think my Samsung sports camera comes in at a paltry 30 frames per second.

I vaguely remember hearing of a consumer/prosumer model a while back that would do 60 or 120, but it might not have made it since I don't think I've run across it again. That would help a lot with the lens and focus issues. There's a pocket-size Casio now with I think up to 1000 fps that might work if you could tweak the focus on it, though not really for hat-cam uses.

In most software you can get a 2x-4x slowdown and still look decent and even 2x slowdown will show a lot. More than that can get ugly (but still useful sometimes for training) unless you have good software that does frame interpolation instead of frame doubling. The problem there is the software is making up what happened between frames so you don't get a totally 'real' view either.

Yeah, Shred, you can get some quirky things happening in slo-mo and still captures:

FingerInTrigger1HaHa.jpg

But the still capture thing does make the "invisible" become visible:

ShotgunEjectingTime168.jpg

<beavis and butthead voice on>

FIRE! FIRE! Ah-huh-hu FIRE!

<voice off>

Here's a little-known-fact-- nearly everybody that's taken pictures at a match has photographs of bullets going downrange.

If the brass is within a few inches of the gun and the slide is back, the bullet's in the air.

The trouble is picking the little suckers out of the background. With typical camera settings, they're just black specks.