Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup dirty residue on spent cases, this normal?

Opie

I have noticed that my reloads with titegroup have a larger than normal burnt powder streak on one side of spent casings. I have never noticed this much residue on factory loads I was shooting prior to reloading. Is it normal to have this much flash blowing by in only one spot?

4.4 gr Titegroup

230gr Montana Gold CMJ

1.255 OAL

.71 crimp

WLP Primers

Federal +p nickel brass

Titegroup004.jpg

looks normal. keeping on shooting. :cheers:

theres an explanation why but I'll leave it up to someone else to post it.

You get the black mark when the pressure is too low to fully seal the mouth of case, but it's irrelevant if the load is working for you. A lot of .38spl loads will do the same thing and put 'em all in one whole all day long.

I normally shoot LSW's, but 4.4 grains of TiteGroup is about right.

In minor 40, it's really pronounced.. enough where I changed to Clays.

Have you chrono'd these? Just wondering what your PF is.

I need 4.7 with this bullet to get 169PF.. which is still a little low.

I went back and checked some of my load data. 4.6gr of TiteGroup behind a 230gr Plated Round Nose (and on top of Winchester primers) was giving me a 173.9 average power factor and only a 6.2 standard deviation. The lowest PF I measured was171.8. I didn't test it a ton since I was making them for a buddy, but I was consistently hitting rocks at 60 yards shooting off hand through the chronometer. NICE LOAD!!!! :cheers:

Titegfroup provides excellent ballistics but younhave to put up with the carbon residue on the case. It occurred with both mild and full power 9mm and 40 S&W loads. I finally stopped using Titegroup. For 45 ACP I prefer a cleaner burning fast powder such as WST, American Select, or Clays.

Edited by TonyT

Not trying to hi-jack the threat but since everyone is talking about tite group i thought I would ask.

I'm pushing a 200grn lswc with 5.1grns of tite group. what would dropping to 4.5 gain me and is it worth trying?

I shoot a kimber .45acp